Catching up at the Monaco Grand Prix

Start from the beginning

"Hello, Daniel. Don't you have a free practice session?" I replied as the Aussie swaggered up to me. I can hear the awkwardness laced in my voice. Sure Daniel is a nice person but I am here as a guest for Charles.

"Yeah, but it only starts in fifteen minutes. Are you trying to avoid me?" He retorts with a grin that only he can muster. Yes, I am. In fact, I am trying to avoid half the grid. I just wanted to enjoy my time with Charles which is something I haven't done since Anthoine's passing.

"No but if you think I am, just know that I am trying to avoid half the grid," I say. I am sure that he can tell that I am lying. Daniel gives me a sceptical look before changing the topic.

"I see you are making a name for yourself in FE," Daniel remarks. Hmm. I didn't think Formula 1 drivers aside from Charles really paid much attention to Formula E. I guess that I was wrong. I nod. Even with my big crash in Paris, I am still ahead in the standings. Not by much though. After a brief conversation with Daniel, I finally excuse myself so that I can get to the task at hand. That is getting to the Ferrari garage. Thankfully there are no more distractions. I soon make it to the garage where I am met by Charles. He seems happy now that I am actually here. Charles is quick to pass me a headset which I will need as it will be loud soon. Since there is not much going on in terms of noise I leave them hanging around my neck.

"So you ready to give me a show?" I ask.

"If I have some luck," Charles is quick to respond. Like Daniel, he has a grin on his face however it is only a slight grin. I am hoping that is due to the fact that I might give him some much-needed luck.

"You will," I try my best to reassure Charles. It seems like it works. Charles is quick to excuse himself as he has work to do. Thankfully the time seems to go quickly as the team prepares for the free practice session. I can hear the chatter through the radio. As soon as Charles leaves the garage I take the last remaining seat with the pit crew. I find myself impressed at how quickly Charles settles into a rhythm. The media broadcast soon turns the attention to Mick. As per usual he is struggling but it is sadly a common thing for Mick as he is in the Haas. I wince at how close Mick comes to making contact with the wall.

"Come on Mick. Be careful," I utter. I am now on edge. This is why I don't like going to races but I couldn't just say no to one of my best friends. After two hours worth of practice, the day has come to a close. I am proud of Charles as he has topped both practise sessions in terms of time. Right now I am outside of the Mercedes garage waiting for Nyck. I am of course waiting with Charles who looks a little out of place since he is the only one in red. Yes, I have a white t-shirt on. I will always show my support for Mercedes since I am a part of the team.

"You know you didn't have to wait with me," I find myself silently judging him. Like Nyck he feels like he has to care. I guess it is down to the fact that he and my brother were close.

"Well I don't mind," Charles retorts. I can't argue with that. I soon spot Nyck who is having a conversation with Lewis Hamilton. I find myself starstruck. Maybe a little Jealous? Nah just starstruck. He may be one of the drivers that I consider to be my hero but I am not really the jealous type. I timidly gesture to grab Nyck's attention. It turns out I also grabbed Lewis' as well. They both join us. Thankfully I am able to muster up the courage to hold a conversation with Lewis. It turns out that we both want to make a difference off track. The thought makes me smile as we all head to the car park.

"Anyway Jess, would you like a ride home?" Lewis asks out of the blue. What should I say? I would feel lazy if I did go with Lewis since my apartment is only a few blocks away but at the same time, Lewis is one of the best racers in Formula 1. I soon reach a conclusion because I can feel Nyck's Jealous gaze.