Chapter 12 - Into the Wild

Several minutes after the turmoil of the launch, we're getting organized. One team led by Marta Hanson, a psychiatrist, is tending to the wounded—including Zach. We're about to send a group to look for survivors inside the private rooms to which we still have access. Meanwhile, the rest of us are trying to defuse the airlocks.

"And who are you exactly?" asks a lady among the crowd.

No point in hiding my true identity anymore.

"Cameron Blake. I'm with the FBI."

I guess "was" would be more appropriate, though.

"He's a traitor. I've seen the FBI lady handcuff him!"

"No, I'm not. My colleagues and I have been working on a difficult case, and have diverging opinions. I wish I could tell you more about it. Anyhow, I'm here to help you."

"We don't want a traitor's help. Shoo!"

"Please, listen! Our ship was damaged, we got isolated, and some of us are still in critical condition. Nobody is asking you to vote for or against Cameron. We just need your strength to open the damn doors," voices Zachary.

The boy came back from the improvised medical tent with a cast around his arm, and now stands by my side.

"I'm with Cameron."

A young lady joins him, followed by a man, another, and so on, until the almost entire crowd stepped forward.

"Thank you. We need a team to explore the dorms, clear out the debris, and bring back survivors."

"I can do that," announces one of the strongest fellows.

A handful of sturdy dudes engage next, as well as a frail old lady who reminds me of Arlene.

"Perfect. What's your name?"

"Mitch."

"Okay. You can go now, Mitch. Tell us know if you need anything."

"Aye."

The group walks away, led by Mitch and tailed by the senior. Five people remain, including Zachary and the same girl that keeps following him.

"Alright. Let's figure out how to open these doors."

Another man raises his hand.

"Yes?"

"Alvin, I'm an engineer on this ship. There's only one way to release the airlocks once, as I suspect, the primary systems are down. We need a special key."

"Great! Where can we find it?"

"Only one of us carries it at all times. Nathaniel was supposed to hand it over to me after the launch."

"Do you know where he is now?"

"Negative, sir. I only saw Rasmus, stuck in the Lounges section ahead of us."

I pace around for a few seconds. There must be another way to release these doors! We can't just die here without trying anything.

"So, they're controlled by a computer?"

"Correct."

An idea shines in my head.

"Is that cable at hand?"

"No, it's in the fuselage. We'd have to cut through the walls to gain access to it. But saws are in the engineering section, and it's sealed off."

And there goes my hopes.

"Oh, but wait!"

His face suddenly enlightens.

"There are four relay boxes in the ship. One in the pilot cabin, two on the upper deck, one in the tail."