Part 15: Decision [Ending Rewritten]

Start from the beginning

Erzebet: "I wouldn't. You're speaking your opinion, there's nothing wrong with that"

I rolled my eyes.

"I think you and I don't have much in common either"

Erzebet: "Oh we have some things in common. You just don't know them"

"Like what? What do we have in common?"

Erzebet set the helmet back onto the table and began to speak.

Erzebet: "My father was a Knight as well, being a Lawbringer for many years. Though he was apart of the Regal Legion before it merged with the Iron Legion. My mother was an ex-peacekeeper. When she became pregnant with me she retired. My father did the same and retired early. The Iron Legion gave my family a little bit of money for us to move away and live a quiet life"

"Sounds like your parents were smart people"

Erzebet: "Indeed they were. As I got older I was raised in the ways of the Holy Balaur. My family and I were devout followers. I prayed to the gods every night but one day, they seemed to have stopped listening. One night my village was partially destroyed. But a single Knight saved the rest of the village by himself. That noble and Holy Balaur follower went by the name of Vortiger"

"Vortiger fought off an entire enemy force by himself? He was also religious?"

Erzebet nodded and continued.

Erzebet: "After the long battle, Vortiger and my village realized that the attack was the result of a failed Viking raid that was conducted just a few miles from where I once lived. The Vikings and their pride were damaged after their failed raid. So they had decided to attack us since we were a Holy place. They thought we had no defenses"

"They thought wrong"

"Correct. But later on I joined the average sized militia my village had conjured. I became the full time leader of the said militia. After some time I turned that entire group of soldiers into a fully functional army. Then one year the time for the Vikings to raid came. We were quite prepared"

Erzebet looked down slightly. I caught a glimpse of her eyes and saw sorrow.

"What happened?

Erzebet: "When they attacked my home, myself and my army were able to push those damn neck beards to a frozen lake. What we failed to realize was that we followed them onto the frozen lake by accident. After a bloody battle both sides were taking heavy casualties. So in an act of fear, thinking that we were losing, I had driven my sword into the ice. The ice cracked and everyone, including myself, fell into the freezing water"

"How are you even alive if you fell into the water?"

Erzebet shook her head.

Erzebet: "I do not know. I remember falling in, then waking up on the shore of the lake. I nearly froze to death but I was quick to find a cave and make a fire. When I returned to my village, alone, beaten, and covered in blood, I was hailed as a hero. I was hailed as the one who had defeated the Viking threat"

Erzebet wiped her nose then looked into my eyes.

Erzebet: "I should be dead, Jürgen. I should be dead with my bothers and sisters who died on that lake"