Chapter Twenty-Nine - Leave-Taking

Start from the beginning

There was a sudden knock on the door, and I jumped, turning around to face the entrance to the room. It was Harry.

"Hello Harry," Lupin greeted, turning with me.

"Professor." He looked to Moony. "Black." I winked, smiling at him.

"I just saw Hagrid," Harry continued. "And he said you'd resigned. It's not true, is it?"

"I'm afraid it is," said Lupin. He walked around to the other side of his desk and began opening them one by one, taking out their contents.

"Why?" Harry asked. "The Ministry of Magic don't thing you were helping Sirius, do they?"

I crossed the room to the door and closed it behind Harry. He looked at me briefly before returning his gaze to my uncle.

"No. Professor Dumbledore managed to convince Fudge that I was trying to save your lives." He sighed. "That was the final straw for Severus. I think the loss of the Order of Merlin hit him hard. So he – er – accidentally let slip that I am a werewolf at breakfast."

"Bastard." I muttered to myself, finding my seat again.

"You're not leaving just because of that!" said Harry. Lupin smiled wryly.

"This time tomorrow, the owls will start arriving from parents – they will not want a werewolf teaching their children, Harry. And after last night, I see their point. I almost killed Lyra and as a parental figure, I couldn't have been more scared." He looked towards me, his gaze locked on the new, small scar on my forehead.

"You're the best Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher we've ever had!" said Harry. "Don't go!"

"I agree with Harry. You are a good teacher. We haven't had the best teachers to compare you to, but..."

Lupin shook his head at us and didn't speak. He carried on emptying his drawers. I watched Harry try to come up with something to say, but Lupin changed the subject before Potter could speak. "From what the Headmaster told me this morning, you saved a lot of lives last night. The both of you. I'm proud."

"All I did was almost kill a rat." I spoke up.

"But you didn't." He paused for a moment. "Tell me about the Patronus, Harry."

"How d'you know about that?" said Harry, distracted.

"What else could have driven the Dementors back?"

"That's what the blinding white light was." I realized, relaxing back in the chair I was currently sat in.

Harry continued to tell Lupin about it, his face lighting up as he spoke. When he'd finished, Moony was smiling again.

"Yes, your father was always a stag when he transformed," he said. "You guessed right... that's why we called him Prongs." Lupin turned back to his desk.

"That makes sense now." I muttered, turning to Harry who had an equal look of realization on his face.

"Here – I brought this from the Shrieking Shack last night," he said, handing Harry back the Invisibility Cloak. "And..." he hesitated, then held out the Marauders Map, too. "I am no longer a teacher, so I don't feel guilty about giving you this back as well. It's no use to me, and I daresay you, Ron and Hermione will find uses for it."

"I don't think sneaking around with that is the best idea for us," Harry replied.

"I'll take it." I shot up from my chair.

"No, Lyra. Do you remember what happened the last time you had this thing?"

"I don't recall-"

"Severus' classroom was completely destroyed."

"I haven't been troublesome this year." I tried to reach for the Map.

"But I have no doubt that once you return to your usual self, next year will be a lot of trouble for you." He handed it to Harry, turning around for a moment.

"I'm using that." I mouthed to Harry. He shook his head.

There was a knock on the door. Harry hastily threw the Marauders Map to me, and I stuffed it into my pocket, careful not to crease the paper. Harry quickly hid the Invisibility Cloak in his robes.

It was Professor Dumbledore. He didn't look surprised to see that both me and Harry were there. "Your carriage is at the gates Remus," he said.

"Thank you, Headmaster."

Lupin picked up his suitcase and turned to Harry. "Well – goodbye, Harry," he said, smiling. "It has been a real pleasure teaching you. I feel sure that we'll meet again some time. Lyra, would you please accompany me to the carriage?"

"Of course, Moony." I followed him out the door, leaving Harry and Dumbledore to talk.

ᵜᵜᵜᵜᵜ

Lupin finished loading his suitcase into the carriage. I stood behind him quietly, twirling the silver band around my finger.

"Alright, I'm off." He announced, turning to find me standing nervously behind him. He sighed, taking me into a hug. I hugged him back tightly.

"I don't want you to leave." I sniffled. "When will I see you again?"

"Soon. I just need to sort out a few things and you're safer with the Malfoys." He explained.

"It must be bad then." He shook his head.

"Not bad, just complicated." He pulled away from me, rubbing my shoulders comfortingly.

"I thought we weren't going to keep the truth from each other anymore."

"We aren't. I need to figure out a place for us to live. That's the truth."

"Then why can't I come with you?"

"Because you deserve a normal summer."

"With the Malfoys?" I deadpanned.

He laughed softly. "With the Malfoys." He turned around to the carriage before back to me for a final time.

"I love you Padsy."

"I know dad, I know." We paused for a moment.

"No, no, I don't like that. That doesn't feel right." I shuddered. "But you know what I mean. Moony."

Lupin nodded, "I know. Here." He handed me a sealed envelope. "From your father."

He got in the carriage and without hesitation, the horses took off down the road. I watched their black, bony figures place their hooves one after the other.

"They're beautiful creatures, aren't they?" an airy voice spoke up. I turned to find a blonde-haired Ravenclaw.

"The black horses pulling the carriage?" I asked. She nodded softly.

"It's a pity not everyone can see them. Thestrals." She continued. "Only those who have seen death can look upon them." And with that, the girl simply walked away, leaving me to watch the horses carry the carriage away. I swallowed, a knot forming in my stomach.