Chapter Twenty-One - Happy

Start from the beginning

"James' parents?" Moony nodded.

"What about my mother? I've heard things about Sirius Black. Some from students in the school and there was a good bit about his personality in the yearbook, but I've never heard of my mother. I don't even know her name."

"Estrella Nott." Lupin informed me. I felt my eyes begin to sting as he continued. "She was like your father. Ella wanted nothing to do with her family. Sirius tried to help her escape so many times, but when she found out that her sister was pregnant with Theo, she couldn't leave." I heard Moony gulp. "You were a mistake. You were the result of a night where too much alcohol was consumed. It wasn't ideal. Not at all."

"Sirius wanted her to get rid of the baby. He claimed that bringing a child into the war we were fighting wasn't the right thing to do. He wanted your mother to give you up when you were born. To give you a chance," he paused, "but everything changed on May 17th, 1980. Everything."

"I was there, and the minute your father laid eyes on you, I knew that there was no way that he was going to be able to give you up." A tear slid down my cheek. His eyes became misty. "There was no way your mother would either. The minute she held you, I watched her face shuffle through a hundred different emotions. They were impossible to read, but the one thing that I could see, was that she wasn't giving up her little girl."

"What happened to her?" I sniffled.

Lupin took a deep breath. "I told you the truth. Estrella Nott died in childbirth. We were forced to deliver you at the Nott manor, not being able to get to a hospital. Having a home birth, without any Healers. There were complications."

I wiped the tears from my cheeks. "Then what happened?"

"The people who followed You-Know-Who had," Lupin struggled. "Assumptions about you. There were rumours that you would be part of a prophecy, but they were wrong, and your father knew this, so he ran."

"The last time I saw him was when he dropped you off at my door, claiming that he had to figure something out. He had to expose a rat." There was bite in his voice. "And then he'd be back."

"But he never came back." I finished the sentence for him.

"I want you to have all that you desire. Merlin knows, you've had enough hardship already, living with me. I want to give you everything, but you have to know, that I can't give it all to you."

"I know."

"What's that?" Moony asked, pointing to the papers that had become slack in my hands, revealing the title. Wolfsbane.

"Snape offered me a place in an Advanced Potion's class. This is the entry essay."

"I heard about that. I thought that he was only taking people from Fifth Year upwards?"

I shook my head at the new information. "I guess I'm an exception."

Lupin smiled brightly at me, nodding his head as I rose from my chair. "I'm proud of you." He complimented, also rising from his seat.

"Thanks Uncle Moony." I made my way for the door. I stopped short of the exit.

"I have one last question." Turning around, I watched him move his gaze back to me. "Did he do it?"

Remus froze, his posture becoming tense. "According to the-"

"I don't want to know what the papers think. I don't want to know the facts. I'm not an idiot Moony. I heard him in your room. I know you let him in, and I know that he was much more than just your friend. What normal person lets a werewolf raise their daughter, unless they knew them inside out."