Chapter Four - Start of Year Feast

Start from the beginning

Looking to the Gryffindor table, I could make out Harry and Ron glancing at each other. There would be no sneaking around for Potter this year.

"It is not in the nature of the Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the Prefects and our new Head Boy and Girl to make sure that no student runs afoul of the Dementors."

There was an uproar of whispers across the hall as the students began conversing. I didn't join in.

Sirius Black has escaped. The words rand through in my mind, replaying over and over again. I fought the thoughts that filtered through my head. It didn't matter. He escaped. A mass murderer is on the loose, it was as simple as that. There was no need for it to mess with my head.

"On a happier note," Dumbledore spoke again, the attention of the hall turning back to the wizard. "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year."

"Firstly, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

There was some scattered, rather unenthusiastic applause as Lupin rose from his chair, bowing humbly. I shook my head, rising from my seat.

I cheered loudly, swinging my fisted hand around as I stood from my chair. My voice stood out among the rest as the other cheers and applause died out, leaving mine alone.

Lupin smiled softly, shaking his head with a downcast gaze. Once I had finished, the Head Master looked down at me fondly.

"Thank you for that wonderful display of enthusiasm Ms. Black," he spoke, his head nodding in my general direction.

"You're very welcome Dumbledore." I replied, falling back into my seat.

"You're insane Lyra." Draco whispered across the table. I took a deep breath, turning to face him.

"You said you wanted me back." I explained, "I'm back."

Before the elderly wizard could speak again, the doors of the Great Hall burst open, a black-haired girl in Gryffindor robes making her way in.

Shaking my head at the girl I knew well, I looked back to my friends, who, as well as the rest of the hall, had their eyes locked on the intruder. They looked unamused.

The girl, who's robes were drenched in rain, quickly made her way up the aisles, ignoring the watchful eyes of the Great Hall. Her Gryffindor colours of red and gold stood out amongst the green and silver of the Slytherins as she planted herself on the bench beside me.

"How you doing Ria?" she asked, grabbing a piece of food from my still full plate and throwing it into her mouth.

"Not bad Nika, why are you late?" I replied, asking another question.

"Missed the train, what else?" she answered, continuing to pick on my food. "So, how was-"

"Ms. Lupa, if you would mind leaving personal conversations until after the feast?" Dumbledore spoke, cutting Nika off. Everyone's attention was on her, as she began to rise from her seat.

"Did he just interrupt me?" she asked, "did he just fucking interrupt me?" I giggled shortly.

"Ms. Lupa, please return to the Gryffindor table so I can continue." The Head Master asked and Nika, not without first rolling her eyes, stood from the Slytherin table and took her place beside Fred and George Weasley.

Lupa was a fifth year, an OWL level student, that had become a close friend of mine. When we first met, a group of kids were cornering me, throwing horrible insults at me. The majority of them about my dad. They didn't last long. Nika helped me out of my shell, showing me that there was more than one way to deal with 'shitheads' as she called them. Although she would suggest hitting the bullies, I've just elected to ignoring them. It works.