chapter twenty-six

Start from the beginning

"i have no idea. i'm sorry baby i have to go."

"don't be. i'll put in the fridge. i love you." he kissed me quickly, but gently. "go."

~

upon arriving to the hospital, i met my twin brother and his partner there, as well as elliot stabler.

"what the hell happened?" i asked.

"they got to one danny's witnesses, who she was tending to."

"did he mean to shoot her?"

"according to witnesses, no."

"do we know who he is?"

"one of the nurse's sons. he works here at the hospital to stay out of trouble. i know him." jamie replies.

"jesus." i shake my head. "where's danny?"

right on cue, linda was being rolled through on a gurney with danny and maria close behind.

he was yelling, but the doctor and nurses couldn't stop. they had to get the bullet out.

danny being danny tried to talk his way through, as the nurse convinced him that he couldn't be in there. we pushed him back lightly before he surrendered.

or so we thought.

my desperate brother then tried to push his way through as jamie and i held him back with help from elliot, eddie and maria.

"i will send a doctor out when we know something." she assures him before joining the rest of the team.

we then hug danny to comfort him but we could feel the concern growing over his wife. he was upset and he had every right to be.

his wife was put in the middle of his work. as cops, that's the last place we want our spouses to be.

~

a couple of hour's later, linda was finally out of surgery.

"rafael with the baby?" pop asks.

"yep. we luckily both had an early night tonight, but when this came through he knew i had to go."

"good man he is."

"he would be here if he could."

"i know."

danny then appeared in the waiting room and gave us the message we had been waiting for.

"she's awake. you guys can come in."

with that, the whole family moved into her room as we each told her how good it was to see her.

dad came a few minutes later.

"hey guys." he smiled trying to brighten the mood. "gang's all here!"

he then went over the linda, grabbing her hand. "what are you trying to do? join the family business?"

"there was another reagan that once said: 'honey, i forgot to duck.'" she replied.