FORTY EIGHT

song: you are the reason -calum scott

THE WINTER SOLDIER GUARDED ROUX SO WELL THAT THE AVENGERS WERE AT A LOST OF WHAT TO DO.

Okay, so they had managed to get Roux, Bucky, and regrettably on their parts, Loki out of the base before it completely caved in on them. But now came the problem of where to go from here.

Bucky hadn't snapped out of the Winter Soldier mode. And Roux still had not awoken from being injected with the last of Hydra's remake serum.

He was being held in the lab below the Avengers Facility being cared for properly with the help of Dr. Banner until they were certain they could get him to a real doctor. Not that they could because currently he was on America's Most Wanted. Plus, it had been hard enough to detain Bucky while they hooked Roux to an IV drip, and now, he stood at the foot of the bed unrelenting from his spot.

He had been ordered to protect Roux and so far, he had been doing his part to perfection.

Steve sported a black eye. Natasha was massaging her neck. Sam held an ice pack to his jaw. And many more injuries amongst the others from his wrath while they held him down.

They watched from the security feed of the lab as Bucky still stood there as he had been for hours, not moving.

"You would think he would catch some z's, but he's committed," Tony noted.

"How long is he going to stay like that?" Wanda wondered, biting at her thumb worriedly.

"Until one of us can snap him out of it," Steve sighed, "If we can remind him of who he is, it might bring him back."

"Except he tries to kill us every time we walk into the room," Sam grumbled.

Natasha shook her head with a frown. "I'm off to find Thor and Loki. Wherever they are, Loki can get him to stand down long enough for us to get this fixed," Natasha stated.

"I'll go with you," Bruce mumbled.

The two of them headed out of the room.

Vision gripped Wanda's arm and guided her out of the room so that she wouldn't have to see her best friend in that state any longer.

"I'm going to go find another cold pack," Sam huffed, exiting the room.

Thus, Steve and Tony were the only ones left in watching the feed quietly.

"The kid's tough," Steve assured his friend while giving him a knowing look, "He'll pull through, Tony."

Tony watched Roux on the screen. After a second, pain flashed in his eyes and he stood up from the chair abruptly. On his way out, the door slammed behind him and rattled the walls.

Steve wished he could have said more but truthfully, he couldn't. For now, he needed to figure out how to get his best friend back. He reached over and turned off the monitors, before leaving the room, too.