Chapter 1: Sam

As Sam walked to his eighth period class, he could feel their eyes on him. He could tell that they were following them, even though he doubted their class was the same way as his.

"Look at the gay, emo freak." Sam heard their whispers. "No one could ever love him."

Sam could feel the tears sting his eyes, but he forced them back. He heard everyone's snickers and their harsh words:

"He probably has AIDS."

"I bet he has sex with multiple guys at once."

"You better watch out, you don't wanna catch his 'gayness'."

"Why don't he just disappear?"

Finally, after what felt like forever, Sam reached his eighth period class, Newspaper. After dropping his things off at his desk, Sam retreated to a little room with a one-way window that had two computers at the back of the classroom.

He kept the lights off and shut the door, wanting to be alone for the forty-two minutes of class. Newspaper was a class in which Sam interviewed teachers and students about certain topics, wrote articles, and had them published in the local paper.

Sam turned on the computer. While he waited for it to boot up, he checked his phone, seeing he had a text from his sister: Hope school's going okay for you. Love you. Sam didn't text back, he saw no reason to. He'd see her after school anyways.

With the computer booted up, Sam logged on, letting his thoughts go from the harsh kids to the article that he had to type. He did a recent interview with the principal about a new test that students would have to take in order to graduate. While the topic did little to interest him, Sam knew he had to write it, if only for the grade.

As he was trying to figure out what to include in the second paragraph, Sam caught sight of himself in the one-way window. His long red-dyed hair, snake bites, and black, plastic horn-rimmed glasses were more visible than his other facial features. Sam knew he was different; he also knew that in this society, different was a foreign word, and that it wasn't acceptable.

Sam knew he was gay ever since he was ten; he never acted upon it until he was twelve. He had his first kiss with a boy named Peter Kaston, who was his best friend for two years. Once Peter's parents found out about the kiss, they moved to another town, saying that they would allow their son to be friends with a "gay boy."

From that point on, Sam decided to be openly gay. He knew that the right people would accept him for who he was. Yet, why did it still bother him whenever people criticized him for his sexuality?

"Sam, class is over in five minutes." Mrs. Kellis said, peeking her head into the small room.

Sam snapped back to reality. Seeing that he only had a paragraph written, he put his head in his hands, wanting to cry, although no tears fell. He sighed, logged off the computer, then walked to the classroom. Opening the door, everyone's head turned towards him, then went back to what they were previously doing. Sam gathered his things, ready for the bell to ring.

"Did you finish your article?" Mrs. Kellis asked Sam, not looking too happy.

"No." Sam said, then added quickly: "I'll finish it when I get home. I promise."

"You better. Each article that you fail to do or turn in late results in a lower letter grade each time."

Sam was glad when the bell rang. He was glad that it was the weekend, glad that he didn't have to deal with the kids at school for two days. Outside, the air was cool, and Sam could tell that spring was on its way.

As he made his way to his car, a 2006 blue Chevy Cobalt, Sam could feel someone watching him. Looking back, he saw Joey Thacker with his football buddies walking towards him. Sam hurriedly got in his car and started the engine just as Joey and his friends approached.