Chapter 9 : Togetherness

Start from the beginning

After a few hours lapsed and Alya was hydrated enough, the doctor came in, with a few papers in hand.

"Hi Alya, I am Dr. Shilpa."

"Ah yes, Nandini's doctor, right? Nandini Murthy Malhotra?" Alya asked, feeling relieved that it was someone familiar.

"Ah yes, right, all of you know each other?"

"Yes, since college. We are all like a big family now." Dhruv said fondly.

"That must be nice. Well, that is definitely going to make things more comfortable for us." Shilpa said and turned the documents towards them, which showed them the test reports.

"Oh, is there some issue?" Dhruv asked worriedly.

"Ah no, but well, when did you have your latest cycles, Alya?" Shilpa asked gently and Dhruv widened his eyes, snapping his neck towards Alya, whose eyes had gone wide too.

"About a month ago? Maybe more, I didn't get it on time this month, but I was a bit stressed, so I thought...I mean, I always had this issue..."

"Well, you're pregnant Alya. See..." and then, Dr Shilpa went on explaining the report while Alya listened, slack jawed.

"I'll give you two some time. And oh yes, I almost forgot! You're expecting twins! We will still do an ultrasound to confirm it, but yes." Dr Shilpa said and moved out, giving the couple some space.

There was deep silence for two whole minutes, both of them rendered too shocked to speak. Alya was not supposed to get pregnant, no, not because she didn't want to, but because she had complications that she was informed about, years ago. She was told that her chances to conceive were very low even then. But Adah came through. After that, Alya and Dhruv didn't really think they would have another chance so they never discussed it.

But now.

Alya was pregnant.

With twins.

-----

Life was very hectic, but Nandini liked this pace more. She could take on projects in a more relaxed manner and most of her time went in ideating to create more opportunities for her students. She also got more time to spend with her children and husband, so that was definitely a cherry on the cake.

They were getting ready for dinner at the Vedant's. It had been a while since all of them met and spent some time together. Also, they had many events to plan!

"Hey, long time yaa!" Nandini said, hugging Alya. Manik came in as well, carrying Madiha on his shoulders and Naitik leading the way.

"Seriously! Life is so busy nowadays. Chalo chalo, Mukti and Zubin are already here. I have set up the video call too, Navya and Cabir are online." Alya said.

That's how they usually did things. They planned a time that was suitable to all and organized these meetups, even if some of them joined virtually. At the end of the day, all that mattered was their togetherness.

"Alya, you look different." Manik said, hugging her. Madiha, who was perched on her father's shoulders, bent down and kissed Alya's head, which made Alya chuckle and tear up.

Hormones.

She laughed it off and urged Madiha to get down so that they could hold hands and go see Adah inside. Manik raised an eyebrow and exchanged a look with Dhruv, who avoided eye contact as well.

"Chal." Dhruv said, patting his back.

"Hmm, chal."

-----