Night Terrors

| Time |

I walked though the streets silently, looking around at the moonlit Orange Kingdom. It was quiet. A little too quiet. Not even any torches or lanterns were lit in any of the buildings. I keep on walking on, my footsteps echoing on the buildings around me.

Why... did it feel like this was all wrong. Was there supposed to be somebody here? Somebody I knew?

I glance around, then see a singular candle lit in a window. Curious, I look up. Yet as I do, I see somebody grab the holder and hold it up. My breath hitches as I see The First Curse standing there, a cruel grin glowing through the darkness of his hood.

"No- No, how are you?! We destroyed you!" The voice came from somewhere close by, yet it didn't sound like my own. Who-? I turn around to see a mirror version of me with glowing yellow eyes and a long brown coat with their hood up, staring at the figure in the window behind me.

What was- What was going on?! Who is this person?! Who are these people?!

A tight feeling fills my chest and I grip my collar of my shirt above my chestplate before I met my mirror self's eyes.

"Who are you-? Why- Why do you look like me?" I manage out as the double quickly shoves me behind them and raises a golden aura shield, blocking a blow from the First Curse as he had ended up outside of the building. The figure looks back at me over their shoulder, a strained look on their face.

"RUN!" The voice came from me and my double and without a second thought, I ran down the streets, tracing my path back to the place where Steves would usually teleport in at. Yet as I reached the area, a rift was in its place, leading to a white void. Without a second though, I ran through, trying to escape the horrid feeling lurking in my stomach.

I run forward, yet stumble for a moment as I'm the world below; Sabre and Demon Void facing off as Dark Steve is by my side.

What in the Sands of Time was going on-?!

I see my double again, but this time, they were wearing silver armor, no coat, and a mask over their face. They stood at the other side of the space and in a moment, they bolt forward, helping Sabre fight Demon Void.

I feel everything shift once again, and see I'm in the prophecy temple, watching as Rainbow Light faced off against The First Curse. I watch as the two clash, then glance over to look where I knew Sabre was supposed to be. Yet all I saw, was Sabre, fully corrupted by the darkness and a cruel grin on his face as he held the Shadow Sword in his hands.

My heart beats fast as I try to speak, but realize with a sickening horror that something was blocking my mouth, slowly chocking the life out of me. I struggle against the inky blackness and try to cough it out, only to fail and start to feel the world around me going fuzzy.

"You fool, you'll perish with the others."

I look up shaking, at the figure in front of me: A monstrosity made of Sabre, Demon Void, and The First Curse, all corrupted into one being. I try to yell for help, beg for somebody to help me, yet choke and cough as the tendrils of darkness hold me down.

No... no this didn't- Happen... What-? What is going on?! I feel a desperation fill my chest as I try to breathe, grab onto any air as I could as I look up and meet the monstrosity's eyes. Emotionless and cold, they raise the shadow sword high above their head and swing it down, leaving a sharp pain across my neck and chest as the world around me goes dark.

All I could feel was pain. Pain and confusion. What had just happened? That- wasn't real, was it?

"Shh... Dear brother. It's okay. Don't let fear rule you."

A gentle hand traces the hair around my ear and I shakily open my eyes, seeing an edge of what seemed to be a massive clock in the middle of a black abyss. I try to take a deep breath, realizing how badly I was shaking. I was literally trembling like a leaf from what had just happened.

The hand continues to trace the area of hair around my ear and I look to see a familiar pair of legs. Was I- In somebody's lap? I look again and remember his voice- remember my dear pumkin pie-loving brother's voice.

"E-Elemental...? Wh-where a-am I-I...?" I manage to get out, my voice raspy as I try my hardest to calm down, knowing my brother was here by my side.

"You're in a space in your mind, where I can speak with you... But don't worry yourself over it. You need to relax Time, my brother." Elemental traces his hand over my hair again and I let myself relax into his touch. I wasn't choking to death. I didn't have the First Curse hunting me down. There was no demon void to harm me or my friends. They were all in the past and couldn't hurt me.

I keep my eyes open a bit, now acknowledging the dull ticking sound of the clock. This sound... I've heard it before, haven't I?

"This isn't the first time I've pulled you from a nightmare, brother... But it's the only one where I've been able to hold you... And speak with you," Elemental murmurs and trails off, his hand still tracing my hair. I try to sit up, but Elemental places his hand on my side, holding me down gently.

"No. Relax, Time. You need your rest. Don't strain yourself over this. I'll always be able to reach out, and you'll know how to find me," Elemental says gently and I feel my eyes get heavy as he continues to trace the hair around my ear gently.

"But... How do I... Elemental...? El... Can't I.... Stay here a moment longer?" My voice was soft and mumbled as I fought to stay awake a moment longer. I wanted to stay with my brother, talk with him, hug him again. But as Elemental continued to trace his hand over my hair, I couldn't help but close my eyes and slip into a comforting state of rest.

"You have your place in the world yet, Brother. But I will always be here, watching and supporting you from the world beyond."

After a while, I realize I couldn't feel his hand anymore and bolt awake, finding myself once again in my bedroom in the time dimension. I try to keep my composure as I shakily run my hands through my long hair and look over at the picture hung up on the wall.

Elemental... He looked so happy in that picture. Yet to think of what had happened to him, and the choice we were forced to make, it broke my heart.

I feel something wet drip down my face and wipe away the tear, wincing as it got into the more finer cracks that hadn't healed yet. I missed him, so much. Yet fate was cruel and left me alone, with no family...

But, I had Sabre back now... Sabre, Light, M... The ones who still remembered everything.

Remembered... Wait.

Why was my nightmare so vivid. In the past, it was past memories I had experienced... Yet this time- what was with the First Curse showing up in the Orange Kingdom in my dream? Was there something that was going to happen soon?

I shake my head and wipe my nose before I get up, shakily walking over to my mirror I had in my room. I stare at myself for a moment, still feeling like what I had experienced, was real. Yet as I stare at my shirtless torso, I notice a dull grey-red mark starting to form from my left shoulder, to across my collar bone and down across my right chest.

Something... Something had still affected me from that nightmare... And just thinking about that left me with a feeling of dread in my stomach.

I bite my lip, trying to keep from crying further. Everything had been happening too quickly, and I was starting to feel the effects of it.

I shake my head and look over to where my shirt, armor, and coat lay on my dresser and sigh. Light's probably wondering where I am by now. Usually I don't stay as long as I have in the Time dimension. But... I had something I had made for Sabre and just found it yesterday, so I was going to give it to him today. For sands of Time, he looked like he hadn't changed out of his attire in a while, so he could use a set.

I glance once more at my bare skin, shaking gently still before I collected myself and let out a slow breath.

"It's ok, Time. Nothing's here to hurt you... Nothing can get in without you knowing. Just... But why did it feel so real? Like part of me was actually there?" I narrow my eyes at my reflection in the mirror and sigh.

Maybe one of my books could explain... Or I could ask Light or M.