vii. chapter seven

SHE'S ALL THAT CONSUMES ME.

Calista's heart was racing as she loosely trailed footsteps she assumed were Hope's. She adventured into the dark woods ahead and every so often tripped over roots that were jutting up from the ground.

She was so wrapped up in finding the tribrid that she didn't notice someone was also tailing her. Until she accepted she had wound up lost and turned around, seeing Landon propped against a tree. Once he knew she had spotted him, he made his move.

Calista really didn't want to be balancing his outburst atop of everything that went sideways tonight.

He stopped in front of her. "You don't kiss another dudes girlfriend! That's a whole other level of douche bag!" He sneered and poked his index finger into her chest.

"I didn't. She kissed me." She replied calmly.

Landon eyed her, his eyebrows raising in suspicion. He was there, he witnessed the kiss and it was definitely reciprocated because of how they looked at each other after locking lips. Like they had found what they spent years searching for.

It sickened him to the very core, over the disbelief that Hope Mikaelson betrayed him- and to have done it so publicly. She might as well have drove a blade through his heart.

"So maybe I kissed back for like a second."

"What kind of piece of shit are you!" He jabbed the already sensitive spot on her chest, repeatedly behind every individual word he spat.

Staring at the enraged boy, Calista realised this was the first time witnessing him react so erratically without care of consequences. When she met him, he was hyperactive and extremely curious, asking a million different questions and running his mouth faster than his brain could keep up. Now he was just glaring at her like he wanted her head to explode.

"You want to talk? Okay, then let's talk but first remove your hand or I'll snap your fingers back to your wrist." She threatened, more out of irritation that he hadn't stopped poking her since confronting her.

"I'll do the talking and you'll do the listening." He gritted out.

"That seems fair but take your dirty finger off me and I'm all ears." She agreed and reached for his hand to shove away but he dodges.

"Stop making this about you!" He snapped, his nostrils flaring. "Ever since you got here, all I hear about from my girlfriend is you! Your hobbies, your favorite color, your family! I learned more about you from her, than from you!" Landon clenched his jaw, laughing with distaste. "You think I want to hear that from the girl I love?"

Calista soaked in his words. She parted her lips, trying to find a suitable response, but only losing the thought seconds before it evolved into a sentence. There was no apology that could amount to her guilt or shoulder his hurt.