Chapter Thirteen

Jake

Warm water washes over me and rids me of the dirt and grime from my earlier run. I try to think of when I'm going to ask the Elders about Gen's situation. I sigh and turn off the shower; I'll have to tell them soon to help her in time. My mind is filled with images of Gen and then Jessica, but my wolf quickly pushes away the ones of Jessica. A sudden rush of frustration bursts inside of me and I punch the shower's wall leaving a crack.

    My wolf wants Gen, but I want Jessica. Why Ataegina do you have to go and make things so complicated? Getting out of the shower I slam the door and walk over to the mirror. It's foggy so I run my hand over the glass to see my reflection. My hair is soaking wet, my eyes full of frustration. I sigh and start drying off. Afterwards, I get dressed in a blue plaid shirt, khaki pants and blue TOMS.

    I walk over to my dresser and grab my watch, while I put it on I notice a picture frame next to my beige lamp. It's a picture of a little boy with flushed red cheeks and brown hair running in a large green field waiting to play catch with his dad who looks like an older version of the young boy. The father stands tall passing the ball from one hand to another and to some who see it might think he seems uninterested, but he was thinking of a way to throw the ball so it would be more of a challenge for the boy.

    His mom has short black hair that makes her golden eyes sharp and heartwarming, like trapped rays of the sun. Sitting on a red and white picnic blanket several feet away from them, you can just make out the expression of pride on her face for her son and husband.

    I sigh and put it front side down so it's facing the dressers' top, "I thought I got rid of all the pictures of Dad." I start to wonder about who put it there and my question is answered.

    "I wanted you to have one of all of us," The breath of the women was shaky and emotionally distant but was as smooth as a river. I remember when the angelic voice would sing me to a deep and enchanting sleep. I sigh at the memories and bring myself to face the women who had the brightest golden eyes, eyes that should belong to a child of the sun, not the moon. My mom gives me a weary smile, her once joy filled eyes are deluded with sadness. "I wanted you to have one of them to help you get through this," she starts to tear up.

    I feel my heart sink because I forgot about how Mom was doing and I just sulked in my own grief. Quickly I hurry over to her and she puts her head on my chest. I give her a tight hug "He was a good father and husband and we both love him," I am a little hesitant but I go on, "I'll be fine but I can't show the pack that I'm still upset." A boiling sensation floods over my emotional barriers, how come I can't grieve about my father’s death just because they consider it a weakness. The images of the Elders pass before me and my rage becomes stone cold hate.

    I couldn't help it, I had to ask her, "Mom? Why did you become an Elder?" Before I can stop myself, I realize the spite in my voice. I don't like her decision, but I still respect for her choice. It's considered an honor just to be selected as a possible replacement for a recently deceased Elder. I was happy for her, but when she was officially picked as the newest Elder I was angry. I haven't been fond of them ever since my request to be with Jessica was shot down.

    She looks up, confused and a little startled by my question. Her eyes get covered in mist trying to find the answer, "I wanted to show to the pack that just because your father died and I'm no longer the Luna, that doesn't mean I can't help them anymore."

    "Are you fitting in? Is everything normal with the Elders?" Has she noticed anything about them I haven't? We both know they're controlling and I want to know what grounds they stand on. Time stands still for a second and slowly she backs away from me. Her figure stiffens and her eyes dart around the room almost like looking for a threat, she stands her ground and she takes a deep, heavy inhale.