One by one, we began to file into the gym where the crowd was anxiously waiting for us. Before I could follow behind Mackenzie, someone grabbed my arm and yanked behind a row of lockers.

"What are you doing back here?" I practically shouted as I came face-to-face with Dean.

"I wanted to wish you good luck." He shrugged. I listened to the gym door swish open and close. The cheers of the crowd echoed throughout the locker room. I could feel my stomach lurch in anticipation.

"What about Veronica?"

"I wanted to see you." He shook his head. "I know it's been hard for you lately."

"I'm really not up for a lecture right now. I've got my entire future waiting for me out there." I turned towards the gym doors.

"I know I'm not always there for you when you need me, and I'm sorry I'm not the big brother you deserve but I still need you to listen to me." He begged, tugging on my wrist to keep me from leaving. "I just don't want you going out there feeling like the entire world is out to get you."

"It's a little late for that." I laughed. "Dean, there's nothing you can do to change things. I messed up and I just have to deal with the consequences."

"I tried talking to Dean Figaro about the mission, I really tried." His voice softened. "She wouldn't listen to me." 

"It's not your fault that I got kicked off." I reminded him. 

"What's the point of me being in the top covert group in the nation if I can't help out my little sister?" He paused, and I could hear the roar of the crowd from beyond the doors. "The point I'm trying to make is that I'm still on your side. And even though I'm not always around, I'm your big brother and no matter what happens I've got your back." He licked his lips, not really sure how to continue. Instead of using words, he pulled me into his arms. It wasn't until his cologne filled my nose that I realized how badly I needed that hug.

"You should head out there, the crowd's waiting for you." He started to turn away and I did too. I wrapped my hand around the door handle and sucked in a deep breath of air. "Good luck, kiddo."

I swallowed down my lunch that was slowly creeping its way back up my throat, and opened the doors.

I was temporarily blinded by the flashing lights. The students and parents in the stands were decked out in the school colors and holding banners to support their friends and family. A jumbotron played overhead, broadcasting the event. We met up with the boys on a platform in front of the bleachers. Although none of us would ever show it, we were terrified. "I don't remember this being broadcasted last year." Mac said as she stepped onto the platform besides me. There was a total of 42 of us, but only about 12 of that were actual threats. I turned my head from side to side to get a good look of everyone. Veronica had a huge smile plastered across her face. She was even waving to the crowd as a group started to chant her name. Ben looked different. He wasn't wearing his glasses and he radiated a new confidence I've never seen before. Everyone was smiling and posing for pictures, and then there was Seth. His lips were pressed together tightly and his eyes were watching the jumbotron above. He looked deadly. 

"Trinity Academy!" Wolfsheim yelled in the microphone causing the crowd to go wild. I locked eyes with my parents who were standing sitting directly across from me. My Mom, who had the same dark brown hair as Veronica and I, looked like she had walked straight out of a magazine. Her arm was wrapped around my father, who had this stupid grin on his face, both of them dressed in white. She waved towards me like any proud Mom would, her Chanel bag swaying as she did. I gulped down my nerves and looked away from them. They had come so far to see me I couldn't let them down. "Standing before you are 42 of the finest students at our school." Wolfhsheim continued. The jumbo tron lit up with our class rank. Each of our names were displayed on the screen and a corresponding picture of us was right besides it. "This year's game will be held in the outside courtyards of the school. Everything will be broadcasted onto our screen in here for us to watch. Outside, an arsenal of weapons have been made available. You will be eliminated from the game when, and only when, you are no longer physically fit to play. Everything is fair game in the arena, just don't kill anybody. And remember, there are no friends in Battle Royale." His words echoed through the gym. "Good luck."