While he was braiding her hair they talked about everything that crossed their minds. It was amazing how easily they were able to make conversation. One reason why elfs were often described as cold and silent was that they didn't seem to talk much.
That was not true. They just didn't talk alot to non-elves.
Partially because they didn't meet often but mostly because they were never close enough to anyone to talk freely and without formality.
The age factor was  of course also important.
What could a twenty year old human tell a being that had already lived for hundreds if not thousands of years, that they had not already experienced themselves.

Quite a lot it seemed in y/n's case at least. Though, that mostly was due to the complete unfamiliarity of Legolas and everything about the ocean.
He had often thought the world to be boring because he had already seen everything, but with y/n it seemed his eyes opened again as he suddenly saw things he never noticed before. He was happy and eager to learn more.

"There are rules among pirates? Doesn't that work against the entire premise of fighting against the law?"
"Well, they are really more guidelines than anything. But they are all written down in a gigantic and heavy book that all the pirate lords signed!"
"Yet you ignore them?"
"Actually not. Parley and the who stays behind gets left behind rule are used quite frequently, actually."
"Parley?"
"It's French."
"What's French?"
"This'll lead to nowhere, you know?"
"I am aware."
"Then why ask?"
"I like it when you try to explain these things."

A smile made its way to her face.
"Am I even good at explaining?" she asked in a joking manner.
"Sometimes, other times I don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about. But you do find the most creative ways to talk around a subject or word." he chuckled.
"And to think that I was convinced I was stupid."
"You were? Why?"
"Many reasons. Like I said before ya don't become a pirate when yer intelligent. Yer one when ya clever. Big difference."
"How so?"
"No one tells ya to don't be intelligent. It's only ever don't be smart with me. Or don't act clever!  And if I'm not supposed to be clever or smart and I'm not intelligent either, I can only be stupid, right?"
"You're not making any sense y/n."
"Am I ever?"
"Yes, actually."

She laughed. "Now you're the one not making any sense."

The evening continued with friendly banter and more story's exchanged.
When the elf was done she tried to inspect her hair but had no mirror so she asked Legolas for his blade. He complied and she looked at her new braids.
They were much neeter than hers. Of course, hers were made by herself without a mirror and only had the purpose of holding her favorite little trinkets. They all had been in her hair for a long while, many months at least. She only changed them when they were starting to get loose. Her new btaids were placed above her ear and along her skalp on the side for a few inches until they went unattached and could fall towards her shoulders.

"Do you like them?" the elf inquired.
"I do." she assured before returning his dagger.
Upon this he couldn't hold his question. He had wondered about the strange black blade that was always at her side but so often went unused yet was still somehow important enough that it had given her, her name, for a while now.

"Why did you not use your own?" he asked calmly.
Yet he only got a questioning "Humm?" in response, so he elaborated.
"Your sword. Why not use that instead?"

She nodded and hesitated shortly before answering.
"It's no ordinary sword." she started.
"The black blade can cut trough anything without exception as far as I know. But it comes with a price. Once it is drawn it requires blood before it can be sheathed again. If the blood from the battle was not enough to quench its thirst then it will take from the swordsman.
The longer its drawn the more blood it will need. When I had first acquired it I underestimated it's greed, only once, and it nearly killed me."
Legolas tensed a little, upset that she could have passed to something so seemingly trivial before they even had a chance to meet.
"I was told that the previous owner took great pleasure from draining his victims of their blood so it is used to vast amounts of it. But I don't like to make my opponents suffer unnecessarily, often I don't even kill them, so most of the blood it eats is mine. I try not to use it until necessary and mostly only with intent to kill."