Part 9

Stiles discovered the balcony in Winter. He had seen it from the greenhouse but could never work out exactly where it was, couldn't work out the exact staircases to take to get close. He's been waiting for it to be warm enough to use, so he can gaze upon the greenhouse from on high. This new perspective only serves to highlight the beauty of that absurd green space. Stiles leans on the railing, the polished stone cool against his forearms, the early morning light warm on his face.

Peter moves into Stiles' peripheral view. He's carrying a cup of mint tea, the smell wraps itself around them both, fresh and fragrant. Somewhere birds twitter. A rabbit thumps its foot against the ground. A bee pollinates a flower.

"You never told me why you agreed to all this," Stiles says, pointing at himself. "I mean, now you know why I did. Subterfuge. Well, technically I was worried Scott was going to be murdered, I've looked after him my whole life, Gerard knew exactly what button to push. I don't think he expected me to fall in love, which really was an oversight on his part."

They stand in silence for a while. Peter finishes his tea, setting down his cup with a gentle clink.

"Initially," Peter says, voice low and gentle, "it was to end the war. Contrary to what Gerard seems to believe, we don't enjoy slaughtering children. All this bloodshed isn't good for the forest. I'm not stupid Stiles, I knew the humans intentions weren't pure. But I took a chance, hoping that if I could show you kindness, compassion, then it would be enough to put this to an end. For us to live in harmony."

Peter coaxes Stiles into a kiss. It's sweet but still passionate, still maddeningly perfect.

"I don't think I planned to fall in love either," Peter murmurs against Stiles' lips, "but how could I not?"

Stiles laughs. He kisses Peter enthusiastically, hands messing up Peter's hair. "Take me to bed."

"As my husband commands."

Peter picks Stiles up in a bridal carry, taking him back to their shared room. There is still much they need to do today. They need to begin the process of integrating humanity with the forest, opening trade routes, starting afresh and uniting the village with the fae kingdoms. But that can wait. Right now, all Stiles cares about is Peter and their bed and the overwhelming feeling of love aching in his heart.

---