IX

The farther away from the palace and the city we ride, the darker the world becomes. Only it's not truly dark. Up above us, the inky sky is speckled with millions of tiny, bright lights, flickering against their dark blanket. The green and purple ribbon of fire in the sky burned a path across the stars. It's glow is brighter than from my window in the palace. I open my mouth to ask what the flowing lights are but remember that my only companion in the frozen night is the bear.

We are traveling uphill. I can tell that much through my makeshift mask. A dark shadow blocks the starry sky from view and Thomas's movements become more erratic. We've come into the shadow of a thick forest. The pointed tips of the trees penetrate the starry sky above and blocking my view of the light. The black forms seem to suck up all of the light the sky offers. They loom over even Thomas's huge form. The branches stick out too far from the trees at some spots and I have to lean down and press myself into Thomas's silky fur to protect myself from the branches. I tighten my grip on Thomas's fur. Just as I was getting used to the steady speed we had the terrain forced us to change. The motion makes the soup in my belly swirl uncomfortably so I keep myself pressed against Thomas's back. His silky fur tickles my nose as I bury my face against him. I close my eyes, hoping the feeling inside me will still. It helps little but I take the small bit of relief.

Marquis would love this I can't help but think. That girl will be braver than everyone in our whole kingdom combined. She had no fear, even as a toddle. She would love the adrenaline of the ride, the cold wind. Nostalgia washes over me and my discomfort of the ride no longer bothers me. I might never see her again. I might not see any of them again. Marquis and Rosie and Bliss and Niall will grow up without me. Cilla will be married to her own prince in a few short years. Perhaps when Father dies I'll be able to attend his funeral and see my siblings again. See Cobalt be crowned king. My brother will make a great king when the time comes. I know that. He too will take a wife soon. Perhaps he'll marry Margaret. Cilla and I would tease Cobalt about Margaret when they were young.

An abrupt halt in our pace tears me from my thoughts. Thomas lowers himself to the snow and waits patiently for me to slide off of his back. I steady myself, waiting until my stomach settles before sliding off of him, pulling my blankets along with me. I land softly in the light snow. It's thick and wild up here, where ever here is. The powder cascades over the rim of my boots and soaks through the material of my pants but I follow Thomas's instructions and wade away from him. I'm blind in the darkness and the strange glow from the sky on the snow doesn't make it any easier.

"Whoa hey there. You'd better not go that way," Thomas says, circling one arm around my waist and pulling me back towards him, appearing out of nowhere. "That's a hill. A couple more steps and you'd be snowballing down the slope."

"How can you see that?" I ask, squinting at the black void and white blanket. There seems to be nothing different about this path than the space to my left. And to my right. And behind me. And everywhere.

"It's my special power," Thomas says with a wink. His blue eyes glow in the darkness with the light of the moon. He slides his arm from my waist and takes my hand. "Come on. It's this way."

We trudge through the thick snow and the effort it takes to do so drains what little energy I have. Thomas's firm grip on my hand keeps me going. When I stumble a step, Thomas switches his grip on me so he is once again holding my waist and then reclaims my hand as well.

"We're almost there," Thomas assures me. He looks concerned for me when I look up at him.

Maybe he's taking you out here to kill you the scared part of me warns. But the warning bells in my mind are much quieter than they were two days ago.