⒈⒈⒊ 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒅𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒂𝒍𝒔

ACT ONE. CHAPTER THREE,
THEIR DENIALS

━━━━━ ʚ ♡⃛ ɞ ━━━━━

"You're late," Vita mused cheekily while hugging her knees to her chest, "I said to be here as soon as the sun set."

"I'm sorry, but Kingo had been pestering me about the sun on my chest," replied Druig calmly as he reached the top of the farmhouse roof. For the time that he spent with her, they had grown closer. She asked to take him stargazing, and he agreed 'reluctantly.' He carefully maneuvered to sit next to her, slowly settling down on the roof, "What should I tell him?" He asked her.

"You should tell him that… the most beautiful woman you've ever seen gave you the most beautiful amulet," Vita replied while laying her back on the tiles.

Druig followed after her, placing his hands on his abdomen as he stared at the twinkling sky. "How about, 'the light of my life gave me a charm that reminded her of my eyes?'" he suggested.

"I'm the light of your life?" Vita questioned with childlike excitement.

Druig shrugged, turning his head to admire the smile on her face. "I don't see why not." Vita's smile faded slowly, and he furrowed his brows in response. "What's wrong? Would you like to be called something else?" he asked in a quiet voice, panicking inwardly. Druig had never been good at understanding mortals nor understand the overwhelming emotions that came with them, especially with this newfound feeling of endearment. Appreciation. Love. He held his breath in, showing nothing on his face as he waited for an answer.

The more Druig stayed in Pompeii, the more he longed to stay. The more his envy grew. He envied the mortals who spent every second loving their soulmates as if it were their last time pouring their endearment for them. For as long as he lived, there would never be any lasts, only forever. In his situation, he wished it could be so. But he would be forever, and she would not last. If the myths were real and he were to develop Mahd W'yry, she would be buried in the back of his brain. He would long for something he can't remember.

But much as he tried, he could not leave her side. Druig began by naming things he found annoying in her. She's stubborn, she stresses too much, she's too unpredictable, he'd remind himself while he admired the excitement on her face when playing around with her grey colored powers. He then tried to avoid her at all costs, but it ended with his legs instinctively making its way towards her farmhouse whenever he tried to wander elsewhere.

But by this time, Druig accepted his feelings. He was shameless in his eagerness to walk to her, abandoning his conversations with the other Eternals. What spell did this girl cast on him? Phastos once asked aloud as he stared at him, judgement in his eyes. He wasn't blind to Vita's affections towards him. After all, Druig was a telepath. But the one thing he hoped to avoid was a confession. He could never lie to her about his affections, but they lived in two very different worlds, one in which Druig lived forevermore, while she could only dream. It would pain him to see her go, so he tried to keep his distance.

Until now.

"Decimus told me he would feel his heart flutter every time he met eyes with his wife. Lucretia said that the marriage ceremony with her husband was the best thing to ever happen to her," Vita began while resting her chin on her knees. She was looking ahead at the view below them, but soon fixed her eyes of Druig, "You speak of me as a husband would speak of his wife, yet you never…"

"Never what?" Druig asked.

"You never said anything that would take us from waving goodbye to kissing goodbye," Vita finally expressed. "You can read minds, so you can tell how deeply I feel for you, Druig. But I can't read yours, not yet. So tell me, do you feel as deeply as I do for you?"