026. depths of deathly hell

Start from the beginning

"We're sorry sir."

Now Aera wasn't one to have major beliefs in religion. Her family were Buddhists, and growing up, she never really had the chance to understand anything about it. But after enduring the barbarous games, Aera began to find comfort in marvelling about the afterlife.

Where would she go after death? Where would she stand in the universe outside of life? Would she be reincarnated?

Trying her absolute hardest to prop herself up on her bruised elbows, ones that painted her skin dark khaki and purple, Aera's mind clouded with thoughts like: is this it?

Aera half expected to be drowning in amber flames, to be scorched by more blistering fire for the consequences of her cruel karma. A whole deal of despondency would've weighted on Aera's shoulders if she found herself in the depths of deathly hell. Aera thought that, even though she had cruel karma, she wouldn't go to hell since her heart was still pure, that she had a mind of gold and that her cruel actions were unintentional.

But if all murderers said that, would that make them a saint?

'Murderers don't have a heart like yours Aera,'- Ji-yeong's voice sounded so clear. This left Aera with a thousand pondering thoughts. Hopeful thoughts. But then the hope destroyed itself. How could Ji-yeong listen in on Aera's thoughts? Of course, it was all in Hwang Aera's head.

"Ji-yeong?" Almost choking on her on breath, the air felt scarce as Aera tried regaining her regular breathing pattern.

Memories of her compassionate friend flew by her mind. Aera recollected the brunette with beauteous charms, a girl with a warm smile and strong morals- Aera's heart squeezed as if it was being hammered down by daggers.

Did Ji-yeong not make it? Is she here with me?- Wherever the hell I am.

Curling her weak fingers around the side of the metal bed tightly, Aera's drained and frail expression scrunched up from the needle that was threading her gnarly wound into a tight stitch. The tip of the fine needle pierced her skin, and without anaesthesia, the process of making a stitch on the gaping wound felt like death itself.

Fuck, if I'm dead, then why do I still feel so much pain?

An abundance of the smell of copper filled Aera's senses as she tried to inhale a deep, fresh and relaxing breath of oxygen, something her lungs were dying to obtain.

Every inch of her limbs were scorching with pain.

Her nerves were completely obliterated by the overwhelming amount of pain. Aera even thought that the healing wound on her leg was arduous to live with, but she came to a conclusion that the wound on her chest would be even worse to live with.

Well, was Hwang Aera even alive? Or was she even dead? Those questions were left unanswered as all she could focus on was breathing. Whether she was alive or not, she found that she was still able to breathe. Her chest shakily rose at every inhale and almost collapsed dramatically at her exhales, before continuing that cycle again.

"We're almost done." The guards announced as they messily grabbed an anti-septic wipe and cleansed the area around the wound with it, puddles of anti-bacterial soap meddled with the dry dirt and blood as they cleaned the stitched up wound.

"Good." Lowering the hefty gun away from one of the guard's temples, the guard shivered in relief as The Front Man stated in a rigid tone, "the VIPs are almost here, I don't want them to see any traces of this," he lifted his arm bitterly back up again, this time his gun hovered above the guard's chest, "and make sure player 036 doesn't escape. If you fail to meet those needs, your life will be the cost of it."