The Fire Triangle: Book II - Chapter 15

Start from the beginning

When she got to the living room, most of the others had already started eating. That was also standard procedure. In farm country, you didn't wait to eat breakfast; your chores were out there, waiting for you.

In the center of the table, she found a bowl filled with a Hopps breakfast staple—and something highly appropriate for Sahara Square, Jordan Valley Carrot Salad; shredded carrots in orange juice with raisins and cinnamon. Arranged in a semicircle around the bowl were platters of clover and alfalfa sprouts, and a bigger one piled with Timothy hay. The sight and smell made Erin's tummy start to grouse all over again.

Seeing her coming, Stu Junior stood up and got a chair for her, something he almost never did. Erin let him but there was something about his unexpected deference that just didn't sit quite right with her.

"Morning everyone," she said, pulling herself up to the table.

"Morning, Erin!" the others responded in chorus. It was more of a cheer than a greeting—and also a little perplexing. What the heck was up with everyone this morning?

But now...decisions, decisions; what should she have for breakfast? Nothing heavy, but she didn't want to starve herself either.

She elected to split the difference. "Ahhh, can I get some of that hay and some of those clover sprouts...and just a little of the carrot salad?"

"No alfalfa sprouts?" her sister Zoe asked, surprised; they were the younger bunny's favorite. "Are you sure sis? They're really fresh."

Erin felt her mouth twist into a wry expression. "Ahhhh, no thanks, Zoe" she said and patted her tummy. "I-I-I kind of think I need to lay off the legumes this morning."

"Ohhhh, right," the older bunny replied, nodding over a knowing expression.

Instead of passing her the platters however, three different Hopps family members got up from the table and brought them to where she was sitting—after which they insisted upon serving her. "Say 'when' Erin." her sister Violet told her.

Again, the young, white-furred bunny allowed things to run their course; but, ohhh-kay-y-y-y, now she understood what the heck was going on—and it was time to nip this in the bud. Standing up on her chair, she cleared her throat and made a spreading motion with her paws, as if parting a curtain.

"Hey, everyone...hold up for a second, 'kay?"

At once, all conversation around the table ceased and every eye in the room was upon her.

She took a small breath, holding it in for a count of two.

"Look, I know this is a big day for me, and I love you all very, very much...but please stop treating me like I'm a princess or something, 'kay? It's really kind of uncomfortable; I'd rather be just another member of the Hopps family right now...and by the way, I'm GOING to help clear the table when we're done."

The next thing she did was slap a paw against her face. "Oh, sweet cheez n' crackers, did I really just say that?"

"Yes, you did, dear," her mother replied, smiling and lacing her arms together, "and I'm going to hold you to it, too."

"D'ohhhh!"

They were about midway through the dishes, when Erin heard a noise coming from the front of the hamada, something like an especially loud wind-chime. "What the heck...?" she wondered, feeling her nose twitch, and then realized it was the front doorbell. Okay-y-y, but now who could that be at this time of the morning? It wasn't Judy; she was supposed to meet the family later at...

"Never mind, dumb bunny; here's your chance to ditch the KP duties for a while."

"I got it," she said, tossing aside her drying towel.