Magnolia nodded, withdrawing a little box from one of the many pockets of her robes. "I got her a little necklace," she blushed, "I didn't know what else to get her, but I figured jewelry was a safe way to go, right?"

It was a black velvet box, wrapped with a little red bow. She untied it gingerly, opening the box to expose a beautiful necklace that caused even Asteria, who was used to expensive gifts, to gasp. "Damn Mags, and all I got from you was a fancy chess set."

Magnolia laughed, putting the box back in her robes. "I'll get you something even better next year," she rolled her eyes, before biting her lip. "Do you think she'll like it?"

"Of course she will!" Asteria nodded excitedly. "I can't wait to see her face when she opens it."

The two girls spent the next few hours just talking, enjoying the fact they could simply exist unbothered for once. Magnolia dragged on her brother for ages; apparently, Avery and Mulciber had a habit of ganging up on smaller first year Hufflepuffs and hexing them, for no other reason than they could. Asteria narrowed her eyes upon hearing that - there had been a moment where she'd felt bad for the snowball prank, but realized that she had been far too nice. Avery and his posse were nothing more than bullies, and they deserved everything coming to them. The blonde girl had developed an uncanny hatred for the two Slytherins, a stronger feeling than anything she'd ever experienced before. Not only had they stolen Magnolia from her and had put her through pain, but they were preying on those who were much weaker than them.

Then and there, Asteria decided she would spend the rest of her Hogwarts year torturing them like they tortured others. She was not the bigger person; she was karma personified.

Asteria suddenly jumped, eyes widening as she looked at Magnolia. "Mags, what time is it?"

"Around 5 o'clock, why?"

"Shite! I was supposed to distract Lily, stop her from entering the common room while Marlene and Dorcas decorated it. I'm sure she's in the library - come on, we have to go!" Asteria said all this as she rapidly packed up her things, Magnolia helping. Barely having enough time to throw her hat on, the two girls bolted into the castle, quickly making their way up to the library. Fortunately, no professor caught sight of them running a marathon in the corridors, otherwise they would've been assigned detention for sure.

Out of breath, they reached the library - thankfully, they saw a redhead sitting behind a stack of books. Catching their breath, the two walked in, taking their seats across from her. Lily didn't notice them for a bit, until Asteria cleared her throat.

"MAGS!" Lily all but yelled, lunging across the table and hugging whatever she could reach of the Slytherin. Pince shot them a glare, to which Lily responded with a sheepish look.

"Happy birthday!" Magnolia and Asteria said in unison, grinning.

"Have you spent your whole day here, studying?" Asteria began, eyes wide as if she had not done the same thing on her birthday.

"Exams are in four months, I have to be ready!" Lily defended herself, but Asteria tutted and grabbed Lily's essay from her.

"Nuh-uh, darling," Magnolia added, grinning. "You only turn 12 once, but you have plenty more exams to study for."

"But-"

"No buts," Asteria grinned, taking Lily's bag and hoisting it on her free shoulder. "Now follow me. Magnolia, make sure she does."

The three girls then exited the library, one of them looking a lot more sullen than the others. Asteria couldn't help but worry about Remus; he was supposed to be the one helping her distract Lily, not Magnolia. No matter, though. Maybe he had just forgotten, or maybe he'd been dragged into something with the boys. All thoughts of Remus left her head, though, as they approached the common room. Asteria whispered the password, and the Fat Lady swung upon-