29- On The Run

Noah drove through the night into the morning when I finally switched with him and took over due to the sun. Bella joined me in the passenger seat so Alice and Noah could hide from the sun in the back seat. When Bella had asked why the sun didn't affect me, Alice just made something up about me not being like them and that I slept too. She just let it drop after that. I ended up driving for hours, with nothing but worry coursing through my mind. I just hoped everyone would be safe and no one would do anything stupid.

We made it to Arizona as the sun began to set, so we decided it was time to find a hotel to stay in for Bella and me to rest. Alice booked us a room, and we all settled in, ready to wait until we needed to leave.

Bella and I attempted to sleep through the night, but I know neither of us slept very much. We were both too worried about our boyfriends to sleep. In the morning, I joined Alice and Noah in the living room area and watched random TV shows for hours.

That afternoon, as we were all sitting in the living room, Alice suddenly got a vision.

"What is it?" Noah asked, handing her a piece of paper and a pencil.

"He changed course. He knows Bella's not there." As Alice spoke, her hands started drawing what she saw.

"How do her visions work?" Bella asked, worry evident in her voice.

"She sees the path someone is on, so when a decision changes, she sees a new future," I told her.

"Looks like James has changed his mind," Noah said. "He's heading to.."

"A ballet studio?" Bella asked, looking down at the drawing Alice made.

We all looked at her, worried.

"You recognize this place?" Alice asked her.

"It looks like the old ballet studio I used to go to," she said. "The weird beams and everything."

"And is that studio here?" Noah asked her.

"Yes," she replied.

Alice's phone started ringing, causing her to grab it from across the room at the same time Bella's went off.

"Oh, Edward," Bella said, picking up the phone and walking out of the room.

"It's Carlisle," Alice said, answering the phone. "He's coming here. We need to meet and make a new plan. Okay. We'll see you soon." She hung up the phone before saying, "They're coming here, and Edward is going to run Bella somewhere else."

"We're about to play a long game of cat and mouse," Noah said, leaning back on the couch.

"I'm going to work on checking us out. Pack up your stuff, Emma," Alice told me.

I did as she said and went back to the room I shared with Bella. As I packed my clothes back up, I could tell she was agitated, but I brushed it off. A vampire was trying to kill her; of course she was agitated.

Soon enough, Alice, Noah, Bella, and I left the hotel and drove to the airport to meet up with everyone else. We all sat in a random terminal and tried to look normal. Bella excused herself to go to the bathroom, but as time kept passing, we realized something was up.

"She left," Alice said suddenly, shocking Noah and me.

"What do you mean?" I asked her.

"She left the airport to go find James. She thinks he has her mom. He doesn't."

"Is she going to be okay?" I asked her, suddenly worried.

"I don't know," she answered honestly.

I looked down at my phone to see a text from Jasper saying they had just landed. The three of us waited anxiously as our family got off the plane. As they made their way toward us, Edward's whole demeanor changed.

"What do you mean she's gone?" He asked us.

"She ran away to play hero, and now she's with James by herself," Noah told him.

We all started walking toward the parking garage as Jasper slipped his hand in mine. I squeezed his hand in comfort as we picked up our pace.

Alice picked a random car that would fit us all and drive fast enough. Edward got in the driver's seat as we all piled in behind.

"Are we going to make it?" he asked Alice.

"I think so," she replied.

Edward quickly pulled out of the parking garage and made his way to the ballet studio, reading Alice's mind to see the fastest route.

"What do you mean you think so?" He gripped the wheel tightly as he spoke, anger radiating off of him.

Jasper leaned forward in his seat and set a hand on Edward's shoulder, forcing him to calm down.

"Thanks," he muttered, focused on saving Bella.

Edward drove way over the speed limit, but no one stopped us. He quickly pulled into the ballet studio and ran out of the car as fast as he could go.

"Stay here," Jasper told me as he followed Edward out of the car, speeding away.

The rest of the family followed Jasper out of the car except Alice. "Come on," she told me.

I followed her out of the car and into the ballet studio. The fight was already over when we entered. I saw Edward and Carlisle on the floor next to Bella as Jasper, Emmet, and Noah disposed of James. Alice led me over to Bella, where I saw her struggling.

"Fire," she said, looking at Edward. "My arm is on fire."

"You're okay," he told her soothingly, trying to relax her as Carlisle fixed her wounds.

I looked down at her arm to see a distinct crescent-shaped mark that wasn't there before. "She's been bitten," I said.

Edward looked down to her arm to see I was right. "Carlisle, can we save her?" He asked desperately.

"You have to suck the venom out," he replied.

"You do it."

"I can't. She's already losing too much blood. I have to stop the bleeding. Emma, can you help me?" Carlisle asked.

"Of course," I told him.

I sat down next to him and did as he asked. As I started to wrap her leg, I saw Edward bite her arm to suck out the venom.

"Okay, that's enough," Carlisle told him.

But he didn't stop.

"Edward, you have to find the will to stop."

He's going to kill her.

As Bella's eyes closed from exhaustion, I saw something flicker in his eyes. Edward pulled away, leaving Bella asleep.