.:Chapter Four:.

With a flutter of wet eyelashes, the small boy awoke from his prolonged slumber, rubbing his eyes with his small fists and sitting up. A wave of panic washed over him as he realized that this was not the place he has fell asleep (or rather passed out). No, he was in a car. He shot up, noticing his mother in the front seat, the sudden movement causing her eyes to swivel up to the rear view mirror.

"Am I going home?!" The small child asked excitedly, quite eager to return to the small flat that he barely remembered. The child did not notice at that time, but his mothers' eyes were red and puffy, her eye makeup smudged.

"No, dear." The boy slumped down, sniffling slightly as he put on his belt, recalling that his mother always told him to be safe and responsible.

"Where are we going?" He questioned softly, gripping onto a small blanket that had been covering him moments before.

"We're going to the park, sweetheart. Sit tight until we get there okay?" He nodded nervously, resting his head against the window. It was a beautiful day, the sun shone warmly, creating golden beams through the many trees as a slight breeze rustled the leaves. The sky was perfectly blue, many white fluffy clouds floating gently across in wisps. 'That one looks like a sheep.' The child thought innocently, peering up with a small smile on his face, delight in his eyes. Unlike most children, (for he had no desire to be alike with anyone else) he quite enjoyed long car rides, staring up at the sky while the air con blew softly around his fragile body. For him it was the journey rather than the destination.

Bright light. Open fields. The laughter and joy of families. This place was full of foreign sensations and Tim was cautious about it. A dog and its' owner strolled past, the animal calm and controlled. But as it passed the young boy, it snarled, baring sharp teeth in hostility. Several apologies and glares from mum sorted it out, with confusion to the owner. The dog had never lashed out and was very friendly towards kids. 'But everything messes up when I'm around.' Tim thinks gloomily. Tears sting the back of his eyes as he sits on a bench, a heaviness weighing down his heart.

"Mom?" He sniffles, staring up at his only parent who was talking to a stranger. 'I hope he's not another bad man...

"Yes my darling?" Concerned eyes stare into his.

"C-Can I go back now?" She lets out a sigh of sympathy, and he can see the mans' condolences towards him.

"Honey, I know this is all new and scary for you, but just go and make some friends! There's lots of little boys and girls here your age." She kneels to his height and hugs him close. "You're a very brave boy, Timothy. Mommy knows you can do this."  After his mother stood back up, Tim sat back down on the bench behind her, not keen to follow through on his mothers idea of making friends. 'Why do I need friends? It's just me and mom. She's always said that! Just me and her against the world.' Tim stared down at the cracked concrete. It was bland. Actually, it quite reminded him of the hospital. Boring. Suddenly, a sharp pain runs through his head, his vision going blurry for a few seconds. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees a yellow blur. Once the surprise subsides, he stands and, still slightly dazed, picks up a frisbee.

"Sorry!" A voice exclaims. Tim turns around with the toy in his hands. The voice belonged to a small boy with sandy brown hair, who was running over to meet Tim. "Are you okay?!" Tim held out the toy, completely emotionless.

"Here you go." The other boy simply frowns,

"Are you okay?" He pressed, "I didn't mean it." 

"I'm fine." The pain was but a dull throbbing now, and the boy took his plaything back.

"Do you wanna go play?" Tim looks up, confused at the sudden kindness.

"I...I don't...-"

"C'mon! I have other toys, not just the frisbee!" The dark haired boy looked up to his mother, tugging on her skirt.

"Mom, can I go play?" She beams down at him, white smile full of happiness. 

"Of course, dear. Stay in my sight, now!" The new boy grabs Tims' hand, leading him over to a big oak tree slightly west of the entrance.

"Wanna draw?" The boy asks, pointing down at an assortment of brightly coloured crayons and some paper. The two sit down, grabbing their favourite colour and scribbling away.

"Who's that?" The new boy asks curiously, staring down at Tim's drawing. Rough lines in black wax, stick like appendages and a smart suit and tie. There was no helping the dark haired boy's spacing out. The times where he wasn't quite in his body - Or just in control of his mind.

"It's the man that follows me. I see him sometimes at night and I have to take special stuff to keep him away... My mom says he's not real, but I can see him! I really can!" His mind flashed back to all the times his mother told him never to mention the doctors to anyone, because it is something that shouldn't be told.

"I believe you. I had an imaginary friend, but my mom made him move out into a special house... Is he a nice friend?"

"Sometimes I get scared, and weird things happen... It hurts a lot, my mom gets scared too, but the doctors say it's my condition." 'Uh oh. Mom's not going to be happy... I did it again.' The sandy haired boy stood up.

"WHOEVER WANTS TO HURT MY FRIEND, THEY'LL HAVE TO GO THROUGH ME FIRST!" All eyes landed on the pair, and Timothy felt his face go red.

"Why did you-"

"Because that man sounds mean, I don't like people who hurt my friends."

"I-I'm your friend?" The other boy laughs, smiling happily.

"Yup! Oh wait... I don't know your name yet... I'm Brian!"

"...Tim..."

"Well Tim, you're my friend, and I'm yours!" He stops, looking serious for a second, "Hey, will you come here again?"

"Only if it's nice. I'm not allowed if it's not." Brian smiled cheerfully at Tim.

"I'll try and come here on every nice day! We'll meet here, under this tree, okay?" Tim nodded, for the first time since he saw his mother, he grinned, the warm feeling of happiness melting away all of the icy cold sadness inside him.

"Oka-"

"Tim! Time to go!"

"Oh... Bye, Brian." He said, frowning as he walked towards his mother, and the car to send him back to suffering. 

"Come on my dear, back to the hospital we go!" She said, buckling him up and getting into the drivers seat. As the engine fired up, and the vehicle was set in motion, the young boy was filled with sorrow, for he knew he wasn't coming home. Not now, not ever.