Part Sixteen: Gone In The Night

Start from the beginning

"It's nothing that we haven't done before." Thomas told him but I shook my head in disagreement.

"Thomas, this is different." I told him, not wanting to go against him but reminding him that there are limits that we have to keep in mind.

"She's right. We had months of planning, reliable information, and the element of surprise. We don't have any of this, not anymore." Vince said and Thomas sighed, still trying to convince the man.

"Vince, I've thought this through." But has he? I didn't doubt Thomas's ability to lead and make plans, but everything just happened. There is no way he made up a full proof plan in less then a few hours.

"Hey..." Vince tried.

"Would you hear me out..."

"Last time we went half-cocked, I lost everything! You remember that?" Vince exclaimed and that shut him up. There was a long silence before Vince spoke again. "Look, I know it's Minho, but you can't ask me to put all these people on the line for one man. I won't do it."

After another long and awkward silence, the crackling of the big radio beside me and Newt took away everyone's attention. Then, a voice came through, it was full of static but eventually it cleared up.

"Searching the grid now..." The voice on the other side of the radio said I looked over to the others with a worried expression. Then, we heard the rumbling of berg propellers.

"Hit the lights!" Thomas shouted as everyone scattered, my father heading down to the power generator and shutting it off.

Me and Newt came running out of the building with Fry and Brenda right behind us. We came up to everyone out in the open and told them to take cover. No one fought us on it and hid immediately. The four of us then looked out to the distance to see the berg flying overhead, shining it's spotlight over the destroyed city a little farther away.

"This isn't good." Fry commented and we all nodded in agreement.

"Last time they were way back there, who knows how long it will take them to find this place." Brenda brought up and I chose to say nothing even though I knew she was right.

"What are we supposed to do? Just leave him?" Newt then commented and we all knew he was talking about Minho, who else would he be talking about?

"We'll figure it out." Fry said and I turned to him.

"I don't think we have the time to figure it out."

Another thirty minutes had passed since the berg had flown away and we got the all clear for everyone came out of hiding. The lights switched back on and people went right back to work. I went looking for Thomas, needing to talk to him after that conversation with Vince and the berg getting closer. As I walked on I spotted all the Immune children all huddled together. I assumed they all felt safe together, all going through the same struggles.

I turned to look at the storage room and caught Thomas going inside. I jogged over, walking through the door where I found Thomas looking at some of the ammunition sitting on the shelf. He was alone, and a part of me thought that he wanted it that way.

"Thomas?" I called and the boy jumped, looking to me and taking his hand off the shelf. He stood there awkwardly as if he were a child being caught doing something they weren't supposed to do.

"(Y/n)! Hi (Y/n)! Your here!" He said and I looked at him weirdly.

"You okay?" I asked and he nodded vigorously.

"Me? Yeah, no, I'm fine." He told me and I shrugged, going on to what I had come to see him about originally.

"Hey, about earlier..." I started and the boy seems to relax a little bit more. "I just wanted to let you know that I wasn't trying to go against you or anything." I told him and he sighed.