20: The Moment He Knew

Start from the beginning

"I'm a big girl mommy, I can take care of Ray." She replied while Ellie just smiled at how her daughter believes seven years old is enough to take care of her younger brother.

Ellie was the first one to call David that night. She had heard that he was planning on coming back to New York for a visit but didn't mention anything to her which meant he didn't say anything to their parents either. Which is very unlike him. He has always been the family first person, unless of course something's wrong.

"Dave." Ellie finally said trying to suppress her anger while he finally answered.

"El? Why'd you call?"

"Are you at the airport right now? Didn't you say you won't be coming back this summer because of filming?" Ellie started her list of questions. They were met with nothing but silence on the other end. "Hello? David? This isn't like you."

"I'm already in New York. I landed a few hours ago." David spoke sternly. "Who told you?"

"Matthew. I can come get you, unless you're at your apartment already?"

"I'm at my place already El."

David's tone still remained cold. Ellie was not in a mood to talk to him like this and is very unlike him since he was normally the one to be asking her what was wrong; not the other way around.

"Just call me when you're not in a bad mood, okay? I want to see you." Ellie hung up not bothering to hear her brother's stand offish reply.

David was not used to his sister acting like this. From his memory the only time she has ever acted like this was the last time he was in the city. Years ago towards the filming of the first season of Friends. At least that was the last time he came to the city with her knowledge, he had come back a few times with Christina but had kept it a secret. The relationship wasn't a secret but it wasn't familial knowledge.

"Last time you were in New York, do you remember the last time?" Ellie asked. "The last time we saw each other that is." David looked at her with an eyebrow raised in confusion. "I know you came back lots of times over the years Dave. You are a person in the public eye so you can't really hide. You were with someone else though at the time so I'm assuming that's why you didn't tell mom or dad or even me? I'll get to that though." Ellie sighed. "But do you remember the last time we saw each other in person, here in the city?"

"I do, it was what four years ago now? But, how did you know I've been—"

"Exactly four years ago." Ellie cut off David. "Now, do you remember what we talked about last?" David didn't reply until it finally came to his mind. He avoided Ellie's eye contact upon realizing. "We talked about Jennifer didn't we David? Now please tell me how it went from practically you yelling at me to stop saying her name to you two coming to New York and buying a ring for her. I would love to know that story."

"Ellie I-"

"David I'm just trying to understand this. I pushed you to tell her how you feel didn't I? And you yelled at me to my face. Then you get a girlfriend while you were here, then you break up with her and now you're with Jennifer. I'm trying to piece the puzzle together here. I used to be able to know you like the back of my hand." Ellie let out her frustration.

The siblings are now face to face with one another. However as close as they are it suddenly feels like they're further than ever before. The person that sat in front of Ellie was merely a shell of the person she once knew. Not because of Hollywood or the effects of a growing popularity. It was something different, something that she couldn't put her finger on just yet. That was until David started drinking at her house. Which led to them laying down on the carpet similar to what they used to do as kids.