No. 4

When you received your Hogwarts letter with a list of supplies for your fifth year, another surprise had come with it - a deep red and gold pin with the word 'Prefect' on it had fallen out of the envelope right on the wooden table with a loud clank. You had picked it up nimbly and held it between your index finger and thumb, swiping over the smooth, cool metal with a gaze of wonderment. You smiled softly at Percy's congratulations as he wore a small smile and Ginny's curious eyes rolling over the badge, perhaps thinking what it might look like on her robes one day - that was, after all, exactly what you had done when Bill's had come in the mail. Your smile only became brighter despite the roll of your eyes that occurred when Fred and George made jokes another Prefect in the family. You were full on grinning when your mum clapped wildly and was thrilled at the fourth prefect in the family. You had a feeling the streak would be broken next year, though. The twins would've been wasted as prefects, you thought, some people like Percy thrive from rules and others like Fred and George just do not. Your grin had turned in to a look of surprise when your mum had insisted that you chose a gift.

"But mum, I don't need one." You said in a soft voice as you shook you head at the thought. Money was tight. Well, money was always tight. You didn't want another gift when the one that you wanted was already in between your own fingertips, especially when your family could do without spending extra money. "I don't want one." You corrected and lifted up the pin. "This is all I wanted and I've got it." You shrugged.

"Nonsense," Your mum let out a huff as she shook her head. "You earned this and get a gift just as your older brothers have done."

A wave of gratitude hit you and you smiled happily which made the same expression flood your mum's features as well. You thought of Percy's owl Hermes and pondered how wonderful it would be to have your own owl. No more Errol wreaking havoc with your own daily post. "What about an owl, mum? I'd love to have my own." You said earnestly with your eyes glimmering with hope as you look up at your mum.

She smiled heartedly and gave your shoulder a pat. "An owl it is."

The very next week when your family went to Diagon Alley to gather school supplies you left with a beautiful chesnut colored barn owl with a striking white face and gleaming amber eyes. You named her Athena and scratched her chin as she hooted lovingly. When you boarded the Hogwarts Express with Athena's cage under your arm and your luggage in tow, you only held undaunted excitement for the year ahead and your prefect duties. You could hardly wait for your Prefect rounds and all that they had entailed. You found you loved having this new responsibility and the power to lead your house. You had heard that Prefect rounds were rather dull but you found that even if you had to count dust every night, your excitement couldn't be contained, much less dwindled.

That was a month ago, though. That was an entire month before you had started your Prefect rounds. An entire month before you encountered two brothers of yours on your Prefect rounds far too often for your liking. An entire month before told them every time you saw them that they better make like the wind and run straight past you. An entire month before you saw your two twin brothers far too much for your liking - in fact you forget what Prefect round it was you didn't see them, probably three Prefect rounds ago.

This night wasn't too different from any other. The dimly lit corridor had no light except the candles along the walls that glimmered against the magical portraits which ungracefully snored in the peace of the quiet night which covered them like a blanket. You glanced at the walls which held the portraits, insuring everything was in order. The sooner you finished going down this corridor that seeming went on forever and checked all the paintings, the sooner you could retreat to Gryffindor Tower and bask in the warm comfort of your bed and fall asleep to the glimmering of the moonlight. You enjoyed being a prefect very much but you had found with the chill of the stone floor and walls that spread throughout the night that you enjoyed the comfort of your bed just as much. The quiet of the night and the solitude it brought made up for the chill in the air. It was almost like the summer mornings in the Burrow where you relished in the peaceful pleasures of solitude. It wasn't much different then now, you suppose, when you heard the approaching sound of fast paced footsteps and the appearance of two tall red heads with mischief alight in their eyes.

Right before your eyes was Fred and George. An annoyed but most definitely not surprised look engulfed your features as your eyes turned into slits that harshly glared at them and your lips pursed angrily. Fred and George halted immediately and cursed under their breath. You were put off because this wasn't even close to the first time you had encountered your twin brothers on your Prefect rounds. They felt a shock of nerves hit them because this wasn't the very first time they had run into you, each time you grew more and more annoyed and hostile.

"Y/N," Fred greeted with a smile. A smile that was too happy, clearly by the look on your face. He gulped nervously and the smile effectively had fallen off his face in seconds while your harsh look reamined. "We were-" He started before relaizinzg he couldn't tell you what they had been doing, not when you were a Prefect and especially not when you were looking at him like that. He shot George what was possibly the most unsubtle look. George mouthed the words 'the kitchens' just as unsubtly as his twin had done and nodded slightly in approval as Fred spun his head front and center towards you again "-in the kitchens." He said surely. Too sure to actually be true. "We were in the kitchens. Midnight snack, you know? I get hungry, of course, and Georgie fancied a trip down to the kitchens. I am a light sleeper."

You held in the scoff that his whole sentence brought upon you, especially the last sentence. Fred was the heaviest sleeper you had ever known and was could never get up for a midnight snack. He could, however, go with George to create an elaborate prank. "We're on the other side of the castle." You pointed out as you crossed your arms. "Nowhere near the kitchens or the Common Room." You shot them an unimpressed look.

"Well, I-" Fred began but you only shook your head at whatever lame excuse he was planning on using. He shot George a nervous look, unsure if they should run for it like you were Filch or not.
"Nevermind that." You said in a bored tone. The sigh of relief that Fred released made you roll your eyes. You chose to ignore the bucket of terribly pathetic lies Fred just spun you, you instead moved on to the point that was resting of the tip of your tongue. "I've a mind to take points from you." You said in disbelief. You wondered how many times you were going to have to pretend you didn't see two students breaking rules and let them go becuasethey were your brothers.

While Fred looked like he believed you would, in fact, take points from them, George didn't seemed too impressed. "You wouldn't." George said nonchalantly with a shrug of his shoulder as he glanced to his side at a portrait.

He was right, you wouldn't. "You're right. No reason for Gryffindor to suffer because of your account." You said casually before adding slyly. "I could send mum a letter, though."

"You wouldn't." George said again, only this time it was serious with a flicker of fear flashing his eyes that even you could see in the dimly lit corridor.

He was right again, you wouldn't. "I could." You shrugged just as nonchalantly as he had been before with an unbothered aura surrounding you as Fred began to panic. "If you two don't stop disrupting my Prefect rounds I might have to."

Fred and George looked at each other with fear as they looked a bit like ghosts with how white their skin had turned at the prospect of Molly Weasley sending them a Howler. No, you wouldn't send your mum a letter, but they didn't know that and the fear on their faces at that prospect was enough for your to be satisfied. "Just go," You sighed, tired from their antics. "My next round is next tuesday - I better not see you two." You said annoyed.

Fred and George moved past you and ran away and you couldn't help but laugh under your breath at the sight. "This is the last time, you two." You called over your shoulder in an aggravated voice. With a grunt you added. "You hear me?"

They left with a string of 'goodbye' and 'we were never here' as they scattered off towards the Gryffindor Tower. Well, you hoped what was the Gryffindor Tower. When they were out of earshot they chuckled lowly and you - still in the place you were standing when they were caught - stood with your hands on your hips as you gritted your teeth. Fred and George knew this wouldn't be the last time and, most unfortunately, so did you. As you turned on your heels with a slight shake of your head, you continued your Prefect rounds cursing your twin brothers and their cursed talent for trouble.