Chapter 11: The Egyptian Gods

Start from the beginning

"I hope so! That would make me so happy!"

"Amunet! May I speak with you a moment?" Aadila almost forgot to look up in reply to the fake name she had chosen. When she did, she saw her older brother starring at her, shocked almost.

"Of course, sir. Excuse me girls."  Aadila timidly walked towards the door and Dakarai grabbed her arm and started dragging her back to the main part of the palace. She hated that it seemed people thought that she could be easily manipulated, but that would hopefully stop soon. Eventually, Dakarai brought her to a large room, similar to the one where they would listen to their father tell stories when they were younger. 

"I believe you have a lot of explaining to do."

"Sir, I don't know what you mean. Have I done something wrong?"

"I heard you singing. That's what you must explain to me."

"I'm still confused. I don't understand what I did wrong. Is singing not allowed within the palace? If so, I-I-I didn't know! It just got so boring grinding the meal. I did it simply to make time go faster, sir." In all truth, Aadila knew what he was getting at.

"No, that's not what I want you to explain. I want to know how a girl that looks identical to my dead sister, sounds identical to her singing voice? Father was right, you do seem to much like her to simply move past it."

"I'm sorry for your loss, but for the last time I'm not her!"

"You dare talk back to me!" Aadila didn't know her brother had such a short temper. When did he develop this? He quickly grabbed her throat and threw her to the wall. "Know your place! This isn't your master's home who allows women to simply do as they please!"

Aadila was worried that if she told him now that it was really her, he would put her to near death. His eyes had pure rage and his breath was short but deep, almost like a horse heavily panting after going a long distance in a short amount of time. He moved toward her, getting more angry as he got closer. She had to risk it. Maybe if she knew who he was, he would stop whatever was wrong with him. "Dakarai, stop! It's me! Aadila." She pulled off her wig to let her natural hair shine in the rising sun light. But it seemed that the anger was so intense within him, the shock on his face did not hide it. He only moved faster toward her and began hitting her.

First it was the face, a slap at first but then it turned into punches. When she was on the ground, he began kicking her. She felt something snap, most likely a rib, but right after she screamed in pain, the attack stopped. Aadila opened her eyes and saw her other siblings pulling Dakarai away and her father was kneeling beside her with a shocked expression accompanied with tears. Tears began to well up in Aadila's eyes as well.

"Father! I'm sorry. I was a coward! I couldn't tell you, I was worried for your health! You look so ill and I didn't want you to get into a worse condition."

"Not now Aadila. Let's take care of your injuries first." Her father tried to help her up but the pain was too great. They wouldn't be able to move her. "Masika, go get Mahad and Isis! Hurry!" She quickly left the room and Aadila focused on the expression of her attacker, her older brother. What had happened to him? She knew that she had caused her family grief over the past five years but this was taking it a little too far, was it not? Her actions didn't deserve this. Ramses made sure his older brother could not get closer to his twin than he already was. "Ramses, take your brother somewhere else. We will deal with him at another time as well. His expression is scaring your sister." And quickly, Ramses dragged Dakarai out of the room.

"Father, what have I done? I thought I did the right thing but it only appears that I made nothing good from my actions."

"No, don't say that. To be honest, I would have done the same thing, but I wish you would have at least left a word that you went somewhere else. It would have made it easier."