Chapter 3: This is our WHAT?!

When the young boy saw those people being hurried in, it scared him. The last time he saw that happen, there was a dangerous man among the streets. But something was different about these people than from the last. There was no blood, just burn markers, that were both serious burns and burns a little too much sun exposure, and tired faces. The reason that scared him even more was because of how his father, the Pharaoh, reacted to the names of the men they said they found wandering the desert. His father looked shocked and scared, even more so when they said that one of the men, some Captain of the army, did not have his wife with him. Looking over to the boy, his father said, "These people are hurting, my son. We must help them as best we can."

"Why, father?"

"Because they are like family to me." The mighty Pharaoh said, moving his face away from his son and dismissing the court. This was the first time the young boy had ever seen his father cry. He had been taught it is because the people need an emotionally stable leader, so did this make his father weak? "Do you understand what I'm trying to say?"

"If they are family, then why do they not live here?" The boy questioned, obviously not understanding what his father had meant by the statement. 

"I'll explain to you later." The Pharaoh replied in a soft tone, fighting back the tears. 

"My king what would you have us do?" One of the guardians had asked. 

"Get the all available healers. They must all stay alive for I fear they were too late to save Tarik's wife. No one else is dying." 

"Yes, your Majesty." replied all six guardians, leaving the father and son in the large hall. The Pharaoh sat quietly on the throne while his son stood beside him in the same manner. The 14 year old boy was confused, unsure if he should inquire on the meaning of his father's earlier words or stay as he is, letting his father ponder in deep thought. 

Not much time had passed since the guardians had left and suddenly many people were running back and forth through the great hall, gathering supplies for the people that were coming in. The guardians had returned as well, waiting for more orders from their king, but he continued to sit there in thought. The young boy became more and more concerned for his father, possibly finally understanding how close these people could have been to him. Like he said, like family. The doors suddenly opened up and people flooded in, causing the guardians, the Pharaoh and the young boy to walk toward them.

Small children were being carried, a woman crying for what the young boy thought to be her very young child, and two men, one running after the crying woman and another carrying a young girl. The young girl caught the boys attention because she was very different than the average Egyptian that he had seen come into the palace. Even though her skin tone was dark, typical of every Egyptian, her hair was the colour of gold, shining even though the walls were blocking the sunlight. Her tired eyes were still a vibrant coral colour, making them stand out. He could't take his eyes off of her because she was so different looking, but in a good way. He didn't understand the feeling.

When the new comers had left the hall, the young boy looked up to his father, who had a saddened face. It was the same one that he had when the young boys mother was dying years ago after coming down with a deadly illness. The Pharaoh dismissed his guardians to go and help the young girl that the boy was looking at.

"She looks the worst. Make sure you do whatever you can." He said saddened. "My son, come with me. Let them do what they must." The young boy turned to see the way the guardians headed then back to his father.

"My prince." Mahad, the boys guardian said.

"Mahad, can I ask you something?" He said, following the direction of his father.