Chapter 9: Something He Wanted for Years

Start from the beginning

"It's just that I'm scared Mahad. The last time I saw Atem, he threatened me. I want to fully believe that he didn't mean any of it and he would welcome back with open arms but there is a part of me that thinks he will follow through with his promise. That's something I can't take lightly."

"He told me what he had said to you about a month after you left. He blamed himself everyday and he still does. I believe he will welcome you back if you tell him that it is you."

"I have to be sure of it myself though." Suddenly, Aadila's stomach growled. "I think I should go and eat something," causing the two old friends to laugh. 

They slowly walked back to the hall, until Aadila broke the silence. "Make sure you call me Amunet now that you know. I promise that before I leave I will tell them who I am. I just need some time."

"It's your decision, not mine. Also, I have a question." They stopped since they were getting close to the hall. "How did you change your hair? That's not something easily done."

"Simple, a wig. My hair is hiding underneath." Aadila giggled. She started walking toward the hall but turned around quickly and said, "Remember, Amunet," then walked into the hall. Mahad simply laughed a little and followed behind, and was shocked that somehow, Aadila got placed directly between her father and twin brother. 

This should be interesting.
**********************************************************
Amunet felt like she was being stared at from every angle. The guardians, mainly Aknadin, from one side, Atem at the other, her sister and older brother in front, her twin brother and father from both sides and guards from the back. She didn't feel welcome at all, and it made the silent meal even more awkward. The silence was broken by her aunt's master.

"I can see where you mistook my servant as your daughter, Tarik. Looking at Amunet and your son, they are practically identical." Of course, he didn't really know that they were twins. My aunt told him that I was part of her late husbands family, who happened to pass away from the plague. No one survived so it was the perfect alibi incase someone wanted to investigate. 

"Yes, I can see it too." Atem added. "It's seems the likeness is beyond coincidence, wouldn't you say Amunet?"

Amunet was shocked that Atem had just asked her. "I see some similarities, but not the apparent likeness that you speak of your Majesty." It felt foreign to her to call Atem "your Majesty" or "his Majesty". She had called him by his real name basically since day one of being in the palace when she was a child.

"Actually, I can see it too!" Masika added. "Don't you brother?" 

"Yeah, now that they are right beside each other, I can see what father saw earlier." Dakarai said, answering his youngest siblings question. "But, we know that there is no chance it being her. It's impossible." He looked sadly at his plate, causing Amunet to feel guilty just being in his presence. She felt like she was torturing him. 

Taking one last bite, Amunet stood from her seat, saying "I apologize but I must see to something. Thank you for the divine meal, your Majesty." Bowing, she quickly moved away from the table and to one place she knew no one would find her. A place she had found when she was a child. There was a tunnel she found connecting to a shrine on the outskirts of the palace walls. The expression on her family's faces couldn't leave her memory. She knew she caused those feelings and she could never erase that feeling, even if she exposed herself. Looking down at the Millennium item on her arm, she slid it off, revealing the burn scar from the fire that allowed her to even meet Atem. She made her way into the shrine and up the stairs, that allowed her too see all the carvings perfectly. This shrine's old contents had disappeared and now had hundreds, possibly thousands, of carvings of strange creatures. She realized that things had really changed since she was last at the palace. They were fully involved in the dark powers of the Millennium Items, which explained the creatures. Amunet stared at the images and noticed the three creatures that seemed to be very different from the others. Their power was almost escaping through their tablets, causing her Millennium Item to glow in her hands.