Part Fifteen: The Empty Seat

Start from the beginning

I jumped down to the sandy ground and looked up to the berg, waving to my father as he and the others went to go land the berg. Beside me, Thomas had jumped down the ladder and held out his hand for Newt to take and the boy gratefully accepted it. Someone from behind me came over and handed me a mechanical handsaw. I looked over to the boys and then walked over to the door. I turned it on, not even bothering to cover my eyes and mouth from the flying sparks.

The metal of the shipping container was thick, which immediately made me expect it to be hot inside. I wished that it wouldn't take so long to cut through the lock; all I wanted to do was see Minho and hug him and tell him that everything was alright. I wanted to tell that to everyone. Finally, after two minutes, the lock broke off and Thomas pushed himself through the doorway first. Both me and Newt came in after and Harriet came in after us.

As I had expected, the inside of the container was extremely hot. The kids were pale and had dark circles underneath their eyes. They looked absolutely miserable and completely terrified. They all stared at us as we all made our way down the aisle. I looked from side to side, looking for Minho, but I did see a very familiar face looking back at us.

"Aris! Sonya!" I called out, walking over and cupping Aris's face in my hands. I rubbed my thumb against his battered face as the boy looked to me. He had a giant scar extending across his cheek and his right eye was swollen and was a deep purple.

"I'm okay." He said, an obvious lie but I nodded, moving on from him so that Harriet could comfort her friends.

"It's okay guys, your safe, don't worry." I told all the other kids as I continued down the aisle.

As I walked on, I noticed that both Thomas and Newt had stopped right at the end. The brunette slowly turned to face Newt and the disappointment was visible in his stare. I knew exactly what it meant. I walked faster down the aisle, pushing past Newt only to find an empty seat with broken chains.

Minho wasn't here.

I sat next to Brenda feeling completely useless. All that effort, all that time used, and we didn't rescue him. He was the main reason this plan even came in motion, the reason people felt motivated to continue fighting, and he wasn't even here. I refused to let any tears fall from my eyes, knowing it would make me weak. Brenda rubbed my back to comfort me as she read deeper into her nursing book.

Over the past six months, me snd Brenda had stumbled upon some old books of Mary's. Vince told us to keep them, that maybe one of us could become a medic seen as we lost her. Brenda took up the job, quickly finding that she had a deep appreciation of this kind of thing. Ever since then, you wouldn't see her without one of those books.

"I'm sorry (Y/n)." My father told me as he continued fixing up his prized car and I shrugged as if I was fine.

"I can't even imagine what Newt and Thomas are going through." I said, avoiding everything and looking over to see Thomas make his way around the garage we were in.

"Your allowed to be upset, you know that right? He was important to you too." Brenda brought up but I shrugged.

"Yeah, I know, I just don't know what to do." I said in return.

"Can I help you?" I heard Brenda ask and I turned to see my dad admiring the healed bite mark on her leg.

"It looks good." He said and Brenda got up from the chair she was sitting on.

"Come on dad, do you have to do that every day?" I asked, sensing Brenda's annoyance.

"I was just asking." He said and Brenda sighed heavily.