Chapter Thirty-Six

Beginne am Anfang

While I was waiting in line for my order, I heard a familiar voice laugh behind my back. "So, you're here?"

Of all people, why should it be Kelsey?

"Kelsey," I acknowledge her presence.

She's alone. Maybe she went here for her beauty appointment again—she loves Fridays because it is her pamper day. I used to accompany her in her nail appointments, eyelashes, and even her hair appointments which made me realize that I hate waiting.

I value my time so much.

"You're with her, right?" I furrowed my brows. "I heard from Zoey."

I nodded my head. "Congratulations in advance."

Our moving-up ceremony is a few days from now. We broke up but I value friendships a lot which is why I tried to save whatever was left of us. Kelsey has always been good to me but I can't force myself to be with her while my heart is with Celestine.

I won't do that to Kelsey or to anyone.

"Thank you, Drake," she responded. "Congratulations."

The movie was already starting when I entered the cinema. My eyes quickly found Celestine munching on the popcorn she bought earlier. I gave her the mashed potato I bought from KFC and she hugged me out of excitement.

Gosh, my heart is beating so fast.

"You're the best!" She started clapping her hands.

"Shh!" The woman behind us muttered.

The movie was good. Celestine and I have the same taste in everything which is why I liked the movie she chose for us—or for Lucas. I was about to ask her if she wanted to eat dinner with me when her phone suddenly rang. It was a call from her mother, Tita Katherine.

"Mommy? I'm with Kuya po."

I excused myself to give her some space. After her call, I asked if Tita was looking for her already but she just shrugged.

"Sa inyo na raw tayo dumiretso."

"Okay."

When we arrived in front of our house's gate, I saw how confused Celestine was while staring at her mother's car inside our garage. I was also confused but then I saw Tito Elli talking to my dad when we went inside the house.

I knew it.

Is this some sort of dinner meeting?

"Pa." I held dad's hand to make mano like what Celestine did. "Tito."

I heard Tita Katherine's voice from the dining area. "The food is ready!"

While we were eating, I tried to read everyone's mind by observing their movements. I have a feeling that this dinner is about Tito Elli's condition and if I am right then good for them.

Keeping this a secret from Celestine won't do them any good.

The dinner ended without them bringing the topic about Tito Elli. I was disappointed but I shouldn't stick my nose where it does not belong. People always say that mother's know best. Maybe it's true and maybe not but at the end of the day, they just want to protect us.

***

"Congratulations, Mga Anak!" My mother congratulated us while our father was smiling beside us, holding a flower for Audrey and Celestine.

"Congratulations, Drake!" Tito Elli said with a huge smile on his face. "Congratulations, Audrey!"

"Thank you, Tito!" Celestine responded when my father gave her the bouquet of flowers.