Chapter 14 - Star Spangled Dinner Plate

Start from the beginning

"Oh no you don't," I mutter, casting my golden rope out at him, taking him around the neck. He strains, but continues to focus his fire under the bridge. However, taking a few steps back, he makes me lose my balance. Feeling like superman, I am thrown over the side and onto the road below.

With a deafening crash, I land on top of a car, denting it severely.

"Oh, hello," I send a small wave over to Natasha, who is coincidentally only a meter away.

"WHAT THE-"

More fire makes us run, using the passing cars as cover. The firing ceases, but we keep moving. In the chaos I lose her for a moment, but she quickly returns.

"How do we get out of this?" I asks, out of breath, glancing back once we'd stopped. She only gazes at me, a small smile on her lips, "what?"

"How many battles have you been in, oh infamous lady Hyra?" She asks back, raising her eyebrow quizzically.

I pause, "509."

"This is no different," she tells me, "we just don't fight with spears and shields."

I smirk, "Guess we'll just forget about Steve then."

"He doesn't matter," she quips back, wincing a little as she shifts her weight.

"Hey, hey what is it?" I scan her for any noticeable wounds.

"I only got thrown off a bridge," she deadpans. Obviously, I don't look persuaded, "I'm fine, C."

"I don't believe you," I admit.

"I could be swaddled in a million blankets, have had 10 hours sleep and be well fed," she lists, "but you still would ask."

"Yes," I state simply, "I would."

She looks like she wants to argue, but she stops herself, glancing to the floor with a defeated huff, "It hurts a bit."

"Do you-"

"No."

"I didn't even-"

"No," she says firmly, "I'll survive."

"And if you don't, I'll get my sister to bring you back so I can kill you myself," I send her a faux smile, "what is-"

Her hand muffles my mouth, as she raises a finger, "don't you dare lick m-"

I lick her hand.

"What did I just say?" she scolds in a whisper, still not removing her hand from my mouth, "I think he's here."

The cocking of a gun not to far away confirms this, as we both get ready to fight.

"Stay behind me!" we both say in unison.

"What! No I said it first-"

"But I'm older-"

"By 2000 years that doesn't count-"

"Don't be petty-"

"I'm not petty, you're petty-"