006. Imperial Matters.

CHAPITRE VI:
Imperial Matters.

"Madhavi Idaho and Lady Jessica's relationship strayed away as the years went by. There was this unmistakable fondness that never stood a chance against the animosity caused by their respective principles."

— from 'Collected Legends of Qalb Suhraa' by Emel Corrino

Danger to the Imperium?

The thought of being deemed a threat to the imperial power puzzled her. What had she done to warrant such an accusation?

Her eyes locked onto the figure before her, poised for another strike. In a flash of movement, the mercenary lunged forward, his blade gleaming in the dim light. With lightning reflexes, Madhavi countered his attack, the clash of blades reverberating through the room.

This time, she was ready.

The young Idaho delivered a powerful kick to the mercenary's stomach, narrowly evading the lethal arc of his blade. In a different circumstance, she might have commended his skill, but survival now outweighed any admiration. Blow after blow rained down as they grappled with each other, until Madhavi tripped over a footstool, sending her crysknife flying.

Shit.

She stretched out her hand towards her weapon, but before she could reach it, the assassin lunged forward, his fist connecting with her jaw with a sickening thud. Pain exploded behind her eyes as Madhavi's head hit the floor, her vision swimming. She tasted blood on her lips, a metallic tang that fueled her fury. The hand she had freed to retrieve her weapon was violently crushed by the mercenary's foot, making her grit her teeth.

Trapped, she had only one way out.

"Release me."

The command echoed through the room, pushing the walls of all its might but found no recipient. A gasp escaped her bloody lips as she widened her eyes—she was dangerously short of resources.

"Wrong opponent, Saint. The Voice won't work on me."

Madhavi frowned, wondering what sort of machinations the Bene Gesserit had contrived to make him immune. That's when the realisation hit her, making her swear under her breath―he was deaf. They had planned it all.

"One last wish before you die?" His boot was now on her jugular, exerting a steady pressure on her throat. The young Idaho looked around, taking little time to analyze every corner of the room before meeting his gaze with cold resolve.

"You should have never crossed my path. "

Confident in his dominance, the mercenary failed to detect the glint of steel as Madhavi drew a slender knife from her back. To think that her father complained about her sleeping with weapons on her. In an agile gesture, she drove the blade into his foot repeatedly, eliciting a pained cry as he collapsed to the ground.

As he struggled to rise, the sound of approaching footsteps echoed down the corridor.

It's about time.

With a swift and practiced movement, she disarmed him, kicking the weapon out of his reach. Madhavi stared attentively at him, noticing the Sardaukar tattoo on top of his left eyebrow, protruding with pride.