Chapter Nine: Rollan-Part Two

Start from the beginning

"I lost it on the second day of Scouting the Underway after turning sixteen when I decided to become a cave guard. A Shadow Shifter had found its way down here and attacked me. They are rare to find down here, but it ripped my right hand off, and I stuck my sword through it before it could escape. Now Jada wears the beast's fur around her neck." He said, running his hand over the black and gray fur on the girl's cloak. 

"What's a Shadow Shifter?" Rollan asked. "You know, those large canine-like animals with long limbs, night-black eyes, and tall, rough fur along their backs." Said Elden. 

"No, I haven't seen them."

 "Do the Kar not hunt them anymore?"

 "I don't know? I'm not a Kar."

 "An Outsider then?" 

"No, I'm from Amaya, which is in Erdas." 

The two stiffened and glanced at each other. Did I offend them? The Greencloak thought. Rollan saw the girl flinch, as Elden touched her arm. He whispered something into her ear and she nodded slowly. 

"Is Erdas real? Like we can go there now if needed?" She asked, her green eyes shone with a bit of hope. 

"Yes, it is real, but I can't leave Kaein without finding my other friends. Rollan answered.

 "But you will be going back?"

 "I hope so. If not, we all die here." Jada nodded and grabbed her lit torch tightly. Elden grimaced, pulling at his tunic as if it was getting hotter in the cavern. 

"Well, we should be getting back to the safety of our group and you need a healer for those wounds." The girl said, standing above him. "Elden, help him to his feet." The young man pulled Rollan up and caught him as he wavered. 

Careful not to touch the bloody gashes along his body, they hobbled in front of Jada, who's dress swayed as she moved. She looked like she could have been a Zhongese warrior with her sharp features, sleek hair, and perfect stance. The girl could have been Meilin's twin if not for her brown hair that was braided almost to her feet. The thought of Meilin pained him as he remembered she was still in the Kar camp as a prisoner. Would they punish her when they returned from the trial. Or had she managed to escape when their leader was distracted. Where are you? He internally whispered. 

The three walked the wide cave until they reached an opening in the wall, where they entered a tunnel totally covered in the glowing moss. Rollan reached out his non-torn hand, touching the moss that was feather soft under his fingers. 

Jada led the way quietly, her steps hushed by the moss, and white cloak flowing from behind. Rollan noticed at once that she had a small limp and wondered if she had been hurt in the incident. Although he stayed quiet, knowing that she most likely would be offended if he said anything that made her look weak. 

"What is this?" He muttered with interest, tapping the walls to free his mind. 

"That's Underglow Moss, it only glows in the main cavern and this tunnel. Our collectors harvest it for light or weave the plant into clothing. Neither myself or Jada wear them because the Cave Shifters will be able to spot us easily when patrolling the caves." Elden said. 

The ground was also covered with the illuminated plant, making a cushioned walkway. Unfortunately the tunnel lasted for only a few minutes till it dipped down and ended with a dead-end wall. Elden pointed to their feet and Rollan saw for the first time a large, dark, cracked spot that led downwards, breaking the moss apart. 

"That hole leads to our largest base, home of the Underway Outsiders." Elden said. He gestured for the girl to jump and she sprang up, bringing her feet together, and slid down the hollow. "See you at the bottom." Her voice echoed as she fell.