In spite of the fact that it was Althea's parents hosting the gala, the expectations about Asteria's appearance were not lowered. They still wanted her to look perfect, act perfect, be perfect. The Greys and the Fawleys had to look like the picture perfect pureblood family of everyone's dreams - everyone had to ache to be them, crave to have their lives.

Normally, Asteria would not protest against the preparations required to attend these sort of parties - the fittings, the primping, the hair salon. She found it to be kind of fun. But now, as she stood before the mirror and stared at herself, Asteria could barely recognize herself. Thick, wavy blonde hair that reached to just below her elbows. Big blue eyes, with light eyelashes that Queenie coated in mascara to make her features pop. Her face was rather round, still having its childish chub.

Though her time at Hogwarts had been little, it had served as enough time for Asteria to be able to understand who she was. She was not a pureblood princess, someone her parents could fold and bend to their every wish in an attempt to boast about their accomplishments as a family. She was not a Slytherin, but a proud Gryffindor. And she knew that terrified her parents.

Her mother soon entered the room, inspecting Asteria's progress. She didn't bother walking in, instead looking over the options on Asteria's bed and quickly making her decision. "You are to wear the green one," Althea commanded, remaining at the threshold. "It makes you look more pure, which is precisely what is needed after the horrid results of your sorting."

Asteria said nothing in response, only nodding and concealing her frown. The crimson dress was gorgeous, but she knew her mother left no room for questioning. Althea nodded, before continuing her spiel. The same spiel Asteria had heard a hundred times, though this time with additions about how Asteria was to behave at the gala. At some point, Asteria had cared to listen; she viewed her mother's lecture as a token of her caring for her, but the girl had soon come to the realization that her mother did not care about her, only about the family's reputation. The lecture ended with the same thing it did every time: "Keep your posture upright. Make sure to speak to the right people. And above all, do not embarrass the family."

"Yes, Mother, I understand," her voice remained in the same monotone she always used when speaking to her parents, never faltering.

"Good," Althea nodded, "I shall see you in the Atrium when you are finished."

Asteria nodded, and finally felt herself able to breathe when her mother left. "Can you give me an updo, Queenie? Perhaps something with braids."

The wizened elf nodded and drug a stool behind Asteria's chair, scrambling up onto it. Even with the chair, Queenie still could not reach Asteria's hair comfortably - the old elf's hunch took at least three inches off her height, and made her much shorter than the average house elf.

"It would be Queenie's pleasure," the creature said happily. "But first, Miss Asteria must put on her dress." Of course, the dress. Asteria had forgotten that it would make absolutely no sense if she was to do her hair first, and risk it getting ruined in the process of putting on her dress. Smiling sadly, Asteria got up and went over to the part of the room that had been sectioned off for her fitting, and let Queenie bring the dress to her. It was a ball gown, of course, but with a modern twist on it. The sleeves were short but off shoulder, emphasizing the blonde's delicate figure. The top was a light pink color, embellished with flowers that were the main focuspoint. The skirt was an abrupt difference from the top, a dark emerald green. It was solid all the way through, though flowers adorned where the skirt meant the top. With the black flats that Asteria had chosen out, her outfit was sure to match her mother's expectations.

Slipping on the dress with Queenie's help, Asteria looked herself over in the mirror. The gown fit her like a glove, flowing elegantly from her waist and spilling out towards the ground. She loved it, and despite it not being her first option, Asteria was content with the choice. "Thank you Queenie, it's amazing. Truly."