CH. 11: Trips & Searches

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I forgot."

Jungseol turned back to Dongil.

"The King and Queen took a trip with Prince Chanwol to the Royal Yung family to visit his soon-to-be wife. Since it was Princess Yeonhwa's birthday yesterday, they didn't want to bother her. Also, they might not be back until late evening. Make sure you notify her of their whereabouts, okay?"

"I will." Jungseol said.

In the middle of writing her stories, Yeonhwa heard the doors of her room opened. She stopped moving her brush and looked up before seeing her maid.

"Jungseol." Yeonhwa said with a smile. "You're back."

"Good morning, Princess Yeonhwa." Jungseol greeted as she bowed.

"You returned pretty early. I actually didn't expect to see you until noon."

Jungseol sighed and knelt down to sit. "It's okay. My parents didn't mind. I am your maid, after all. I need to be there for you when you need me."

Yeonhwa sighed. "You're such a good daughter." she praised.

Jungseol smiled. "Thank you." she replied.

"So about yesterday."

The maid's eyes sparkled with excitement knowing that the Princess was going to bring up the farmboy.

"Were you able to deliver the letter Hwayang?" Yeonhwa quietly asked.

Jungseol nodded. "Yes, I was, Your Majesty."

The Princess looked at her with a mix of relief and surprise. "Really? You were?"

"Yes, Princess Yeonhwa."

A faint blush was painted on Yeonhwa's face, and she tried to lower her head and hide it, but her curiosity of how the letter delivery went yesterday kept her busy.

"How did you find him?" Yeonhwa asked.

Jungseol sighed. "My family and I were heading to the farming field to work, and I just happened to see him there." she answered.

"Was he suspicious of anything?"

The smile on Jungseol's face froze a bit and slowly faded as she recalled how Hwayang confessed to knowing about their royalty. She really wanted to let the Princess know, but she also gave the farmboy her word that she wouldn't say anything. Plus, she somehow agreeingly thought maybe she shouldn't. This wasn't her love quarrel anyways.

Jungseol shook her head and gave her best smile again.

"No." she regretfully lied. "He doesn't know a thing." 'Forgive me, Princess Yeonhwa. Hwayang has asked - no, told me - not to tell you that he knows about who you are. Please don't be mad at me.' She mentally screamed a bit in nervousness just thinking about it.

Yeonhwa nodded in relief. "That's good to hear then." she said, making Jungseol squirm a bit nervously. "Did he... Did he ask about me?" She had been thinking about Hwayang nonstop ever since their meeting. Other than maybe, possibly liking him, she wondered how he thought of her.

"Not necessarily." Jungseol replied. If she recalled, he didn't really ask about her. He just accepted the letter, then she left.

Yeonhwa unknowingly pouted. "Oh, okay."

"But I'm sure he was happy to hear from you."
The Princess looked at her. "Are you sure?"

"I know, Your Majesty."

A small smile tugged on Yeonhwa as her mind came across Hwayang again.

"Dongil-ssi told me to tell you that the King, Queen, and Prince Chanwol aren't home."