Chapter 1

A week after the river incident, George finally decided to stop hiding out in his room in the motel and to actually get some work done. He was scared that the man he had seen there had seen his face and would rat him out, even though half of George's face was covered in a mask, but so far nothing new had popped up in the news, except for two men who were missing. George had good reason to believe one of the missing men was the stranger's victim, already knowing that the other missing man was his.

George sighed, standing up and running his hand through his hair absentmindedly. He stared around at his dimly lit room and decided against cleaning it, knowing he was behind on work. He sat down in his desk chair and slid over to his desk, opening his laptop with a yawn. The bright screen blinded him momentarily and he had to let his eyes adjust to the harsh light for a few seconds, the screen loading before him.

Notifications popped up one after the other and George scowled. He knew he was in trouble as he scrolled through the messages from his boss. The anger and annoyance in the texts emitting easily through to George.

He grimaced as he opened the chat up and texted out a quick reply to his boss, wincing as he heard the ping of a message pop up almost instantaneously.

Boss

Wilbur: You better respond before I fire you, George. I'm not joking.

George: Sorry Wilbur, I was a bit busy with personal reasons this past week and couldn't reply.

Wilbur: I'd like to know what was so important that you passed up a good opportunity to complete a complicated assignment. Huh?

George racked his brain as he tried to think up a good excuse as to why he didn't respond, without telling Wilbur that he had been seen completing an assignment. Wilbur would kill him if he ever found out. And what was so important that he passed up?

George: What did I miss?

Wilbur: Oh only the hardest case we have yet, but it's fine, we have plenty of other chances to complete it.

George could practically taste the anger and sarcasm from his boss's texts. He sighed, running a hand down his face in annoyance. He didn't know how to respond to Wilbur, so he just asked for another assignment and Wilbur, without too much further argument, complied and gave him one. But George knew Wilbur would be furious with him for days before he got over it.

George ignored his thoughts and instead clicked into the file he was sent, skimming through the information. It wasn't too difficult. Nothing he couldn't already handle. He just had to find and take out a man by the name of Jake Matts. A very slick drug dealer, who hadn't been seen in months by the police. But George had had worse cases.

He stood up from his chair and packed everything he would need for the mission, little gadgets and daggers in his belt and leaned his sniper bow next to it all.

Quickly, George changed into sweats and a white T-shirt and flopped into his mildly comfy bed, scrolling half heartedly through his phone. But finding nothing to keep his attention for long, he gave up and plugged it in, laying it on his nightstand. He made sure his alarm was on before he finally allowed himself to drift off into sleep, no dreams gracing his mind as he slept.

--

Very early the next morning, George's alarm went off, blaring annoyingly right next to his ear. George groaned, turning over and throwing a pillow over his head to help block out the noise. But the thin motel pillow did nothing but slightly muffle the alarm, and George had no choice but to throw the pillow across the room and hit the stop button on his phone.