Interval 2 - Why He Came

Mulai dari awal

"But now that he's in the hospital, he can't do much for Kyou..."

"We, too, had been trying our best to be there for Kyousuke, but... He's rather stubborn about handling it on his own." His mother stated. "Perhaps it's because we both have jobs, and he didn't want to trouble us anymore, but... Well, he's our son. We can't help but worry for him. That's why, we really want to thank you, Kimiko."

"Me?"

"Kyousuke's been much, much happier since you became friends. Not only do you share the same love for soccer, but you're also teaching him to play. And now, even though he's not going to the park anymore, you're still taking the trouble to come and visit him. It's reassuring for us to know he has someone who cares about him just as much as we do."

She gave an awkward laugh. "It's no big deal, really... I mean... I don't have any friends of my own either, so..."

"Oh?"

"My family is rather overprotective of me, see... I'm being homeschooled, and even then, my teacher is another relative. I don't get to go outside much, even in my own town. Actually, I'd say I spend more time outside when I'm here than when I'm back home."

His father gave a surprised hum. "My, that's not a way for a child to live."

"Ahaha... It can't be helped. Lots of bad things happened to my relatives when they were younger, so they're all just worried for my safety. But I never thought Kyousuke would be in a similar spot, just for different reasons..."

"Do your parents work out of town a lot too?" His mother asked.

"They do. Most of the time, they even go abroad. I have my brother to keep me company at home, but after meeting Kyou and Yuu-san, I just started looking forward to coming here more. I mean, it doesn't bother me that I'm adopted, but... I guess... being more than ten years younger than everyone you knew... started getting a little lonely."

"That is quite the gap..."

"Mm. That's why I'll keep coming over every weekend. It's not just for Kyousuke, but for me too."

"Kimiko..."

"It kind of hurts that he doesn't ever say anything unless he needs help with homework now... but I promise I'll always be there for Kyousuke, whenever and wherever he needs me! So, don't worry! If he didn't have any friends before, then I'll be the first and the best friend he'll ever have!"

His mother chuckled. "I think you already are."

"Ahahahaha..."

Ding!

"And those are the cookies! Come, Kimiko. I'll box them so you can bring them home."

"Thank you!"

In just a couple of minutes, he heard a mix of 'goodbye's and 'see you next week's, tiny footsteps fading, and the door closing. He figured he should just head upstairs again. His cookie craving was gone anyway.

But he couldn't move.

There was something burning on his cheeks, and he kept hearing strange noises. "W-What...?" His lips pressed together in an instant. Only when he heard his own voice crack did he realize, the one making those strange noises, was him.

He was crying.

But... But I'm... fine...

"Kyousuke?!"

His parents were suddenly beside him, asking what sounded like a million questions at once. But none of it registered in his ears.

"It's no big deal, really... I mean... I don't have any friends of my own either, so..."

"It doesn't bother me that I'm adopted, but... I guess... being more than ten years younger than everyone you knew... started getting a little lonely."

"It kind of hurts that he doesn't ever say anything unless he needs help with homework now..."

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm really, really sorry..." He kept muttering apologies to no one.

Meanwhile, his parents exchanged relieved glances when they realized he wasn't physically injured. And it only took another second to figure out he was most likely listening to their conversation with Kimiko from the start.

His father lifted him up and brought him to the living room, his mother following them with a tray in her hands.

"Aunty's cookies are the best!"

He suddenly wanted those cookies again.

~~~~~

A week later...

"Oh? Kyousuke, you're heading out?"

He gave a small nod. "Kimiko's birthday was just a few days ago... It wouldn't be right if she stays in my room the whole time."

"I see. Well, have fun, then."

"Mm. Be back later, mom."

Leaving the house, he clung to his duffle bag tightly the whole walk to the park. The moment he got there, he set it down on a bench and exhaled slowly. His hands were stiff when he pulled out the soccer ball. He had just cleaned the dust off of it the night before, but he wasn't sure if he could even kick it properly after so long.

He didn't have to wait long for his friend to arrive. As he expected, a bright smile appeared on her face the second she laid eyes on him. He couldn't help his own smile forming.

Within the span of a few minutes, she had convinced him to play again, his passion for soccer reignited, now burning brighter than ever before.

"If he didn't have any friends before, then I'll be the first and the best friend he'll ever have!"

For the first time in a long while, he felt truly happy.

And I'll be yours.