Chapter 20: Deceit

Beau

I hated the thought of Malyn hangin' out with that sap. But the fact that she's gonna be spendin' most of her time breakin' his heart made me feel a tad bit better. I just wish I could've gone with her.

I decided to occupy my mind and do some work around the yard that I didn't think Nellie needed to be doin'. Not that she wasn't capable; it's just man's work. I thought I'd clear out some overgrown brush next to the driveway before I tried to use her mower. The one Pa had was scary enough, but at least when ya stopped pushin' it, it stopped cuttin'. These just kept goin' and seemed like they'd chop ya up if ya wasn't careful.

I cleared out what needed to be cleared and cut the grass, which was a whole lot easier with Nellie's intimidatin' mower. I never would've thought I'd ever be sittin' down while I mowed. It made me wonder what it'd be like workin' in the fields, now.

By the time I pulled it back into the shed and locked it up, it was dark. At least they should be gettin' back here soon. It was funny to hear myself say that. I used to always wanna be here by myself—until Malyn... and even Nellie, for that matter. I couldn't imagine bein' here without either one of 'em now.

I was tired and thought I'd take a break from this body, so I turned the pump off. When I did, it felt like a weight was taken off me, almost like I could fly. I laid my new clothes on the table and hurried down to the river to get my normal clothes before Malyn got home. As I turned to head back toward the house, I felt like somebody was watchin' me, but didn't see anybody... until I got closer to the house.

There was somebody standin' on the porch. It startled me a little, since I hadn't heard anyone pull up, so I didn't move. When they stepped off the porch, I could see that it was a woman, but since the street light was shinin' on me, not her, I couldn't tell who it was until she stepped into the light with me.

My mouth fell open and I froze where I stood. It ain't possible.

"Ma?" She smiled at me and reached out her hand when she got close, which I instinctively took. "How...?"

She continued to smile without sayin' a word and started to walk toward the river, pullin' me along with her, as a thousand thoughts hit me at once. "What are ya doin' here? How? I never...." I was still so stunned that I didn't know what to say, so I just stopped and looked at her.

She stood there, staring back at me, not moving, which was odd. She hadn't seen me in over a hundred years, so I thought she'd have a lot to say, but she just smiled up at me and started to walk toward the river, again, so I did, too.

"I've missed you." I could feel tears swell up in my eyes but tried not to blink so they'd dry up. We were gettin' closer to the river as I waited on her to say somethin', but she didn't. When I stopped walkin', again, so did she. "Can't ya talk?" She kept smilin' and shook her head. "You can't talk to me?" When she shook her head again, I asked her why.

She motioned for me to follow her, but I was hesitant. Somethin' just didn't feel right. When she noticed I wasn't comin', her smile faded. She got a stern look on her face and motioned for me again, but I didn't move.

"Ma? Why can't ya talk to me? I'm not goin' anywhere till ya tell me what's goin' on." I would never have disrespected Ma like that, but I had a feelin' this wasn't her. "I mean, after all this time ya act like I'm just some distant kinfolk ya ain't seen in a while. No hug, no 'I've missed you, too', no nothin'. What's wrong with you?"

She glared at me with a look of hatred that I'd never seen her give anyone, even mean old Mrs. Murphy, who was always rude and tried to shoo my little brothers and sisters outta her way like they were critters. Ma wasn't capable of lookin' at us like that.

So, if that wasn't Ma, then.... "Who are you?" The fact that someone could be so cruel that they'd trick me like this boiled my blood. "WHO ARE YOU?"