Chapter 1 - The Cowell Family

"I'm heading down to the store, Mum!" I called out, jogging down the marble steps of the huge mansion.

"Okay." came the emotionless reply as I sighed and pulled the strap of my red bucket bag over my shoulder. I walked into the dining room and grabbed my mug of coffee, giving Al, my older brother a hug, and receiving a kiss on the cheek from my dad, the one and only, Simon Cowell. I walked past my mum who ruffled my hair and I laughed, yelling a goodbye before taking the five minute long walk out the door. I waved the car off, as one of the bodyguards walked me to my store. I unlocked it, and stepped inside, turning on the lights and AC (which was replaced with using the fireplaces), turning the door of behind me. I loved this place. The smell of new books, of paper, and I turned the music on loud, which is why, people liked coming here. It could turn into a crazy dance party, but there was a soundproof room you could go to if you really didn't like the music. About half an hour later, the workers started pouring in, jamming out. Stocks of the last and latest heroes of Olympus book came in, and we unpacked, the other workers laughing and talking amongst themselves while I mostly kept to myself. I grabbed a crate of the books and headed upstairs to the storage, and then retreated to my basement for a while. My basement was more like my home than my actual home. At least nobody gave me demoting or superior or disappointing looks there. I was all to myself. Nobody to judge, no body to tell me what to do. The only other people that had come here and spent a lot of time here were my best friends, Hannah and Spencer, but Hannah was currently shooting for Harry Potter, and Spencer was probably home, so at the moment I was all alone there. I was the quietest of the three of us, but I felt I could talk more about myself, the real me around them, not just some random person like I did around others. Around others, I was the geek, the nerd. Around them, I was the book lover.

My basement had a few rooms, one was my study with my typewriter and second laptop and stacks of paper for whenever I wrote something, and the rest of it was almost a copy of the floor on top, filled with books, but all mine, one's that I read and re-read and re-re-read. It was beautiful. Beanbags, comfy couches and a wooden floor. One corner of that room had my boxes. Boxes that I had stacked with everything I wrote, never wanting to get them published because I was too scared they would be rejected, and my fridges, stacked with sodas, milk, sugar, cream, coffee, ice cream, candy, marshmallows, Mrs. Fields brownies, cookies, muffins and all sorts of junk food. Next to that was my coffee maker and stacks of coffee cups along with a microwave and random stuff. Basically like a home away from home. My own mini apartment. It even had a shower and a bunch of my clothes, That's how much I mean by apartment. I heard a knock on the glass doors of my huge room and walked over to it, my black platform heeled ankle boots making loud sounds on the wooden floor. I opened the door to find Spencer standing there, grinning, dressed in black skinnies and a yellow blouse, her long brown hair tied into a ponytail.

"Helloooo, lovely lady. That red top and black skirt looks so hot on you. Who you trying to impress?" she grinned, walking over the fridge and grabbing a bottle of coke.

"No one." I said. "The new Percy Jackson book came in today." I said. "I got three, they're there." I pointed ti the couch where the three new books were lying.

"Oh you ANGEL." Spencer said, giving me a hug. "I've been waiting for this for so long."

"Spence, they came out today." I laughed.

"You get the point. Oh and, this is the first time you've smiled this week. Smile a little more. You have a sexy smile." Spencer said, rolling her eyes as she curled up on a beanbag. I picked up one of the books, grabbing my coffee and collapsing. A few minutes later, my phone buzzed and my dad's face smiled up at me.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hey, love. I just wanted to say that we're having a dinner tonight with my newest clients, the One Direction boys, okay? The dinner starts at 8, okay. At home only. Dress nice." he said.