I guess she thinks I was talking about Junior, so I nod. I don't like her condescension towards my clan, my family. She has no right.

The rest of the leaders arrive shortly after, settling in with more ease than Jeri, but even her exterior has grown calm despite my nearness. I feel her wolf taking me in, pushing her human to move closer, to pet me. I like that her wolf is unafraid.

Morris slips behind me and settles into his chair with a groan. He steeples his fingers as he watches me, considering.

It's Mark who speaks, shattering the calm, "We have expectations—,"

"You speak out of order, Leader Cobbler," Siobhan and her wolf growl.

His eyes go wolf, and Morris slams his fist on the table, "We will have peace, Mark. Leanne," he says, turning to me, "How was your flight."

Great. More small talk. I wish they would just get into the meat of it, "Fine, thank you."

He nods, "I spoke with Captain Judson. He has nothing but praise for you and your accomplishments. I want you to know that we as pack could not be prouder for all that you have done and all that you will do now that you're home."

There are a few murmurs of agreement. Jeri, free of her fear and the wolf riding her hard, reaches over and gingerly sets her hand on my shoulder. I lean into it, and she softens further.

"We do, however, have expectations, as Leader Cobbler said," Alpha Morris grumbles, glaring across the table.

I don't look, I only nod.

"First of all, as I'm sure you gathered based on your response downstairs, is that the pack does not know what happened to your human that night. It will remain that way. I do not need a pack in upheaval over the fact that you have no human soul."

I nod again, folding my hands in my lap. I'm happy that I was correct, and hopeful that Victoria will keep silent for what I told her in the car on our way here.

"Dr. Borris Kessler has said he will be happy to take you into his employ as a nurse," he continues, "though it is expected that you begin classes towards becoming either a doctor or nurse practitioner that will one day take over his practice. As I understand it from Captain Judson, you are eligible for monetary assistance from the GI bill. There is paperwork required from both me and Dr. Kessler, so when he is ready we'll get all of that in order," when he's done, he turns to Alan McFurly. The leader is staring at the window just behind us.

Siobhan must kick him under the table, because the old man grunts, twisting his head to glare at her until he realizes we're all watching him. Clearing his throat, he seems to be internally recounting what had been going on before he continues, "While the pack may have, ah, mixed feelings towards your return, we can't have you hiding away from them. We want you to be happy here, and we want pack to become comfortable with you being home. Now, I know you were taken away and your arrival has been a bit, well, let's say abrupt, we'll need you to come to all pack meetings, as well as paying the monthly dues required by all of us that support the pack and it's group funds."

Mark is covering his eyes with a single hand, his head shaking back and forth. Siobhan's eyes are closed as if it's the only way she can resist reaching over and strangling him. Mark only watches me with narrow eyes. Jeri's hand tightens on my shoulder and she moves her seat a little closer.

"That includes going on pack runs, Lee," She says, not removing her hand from me, but instead running gentle circles over my shoulder blade. I think it's to calm herself rather than me. Her lips are tight. She doesn't want to say what she must.