Chapter Eighteen: I Was Wrong

Bắt đầu từ đầu

NO!

That was in the past and she was no longer a scared little girl...and no longer this man's daughter as far as her own independence as a person was concerned.

"You got something to say for yourself, my sweet little Emmy?" He asked her in a sickeningly saturated tone, only serving to fuel her anger as she gathered up her strength to speak.

She inhaled a deep breath and braced herself for what she would say to him... hoping to God above that this would finally sever the ties to the man on the other end of the line.

"Ever since Mom told me everything about what you did, I've thought long and hard about what I've wanted to say to you. And you'll let me say what I need to and you won't interrupt me." She challenged him to respond to her command of order.

And he responded just as she expected him to...

"What could you possibly have to say to me, kid? You're weak and always will be weak just like your mother. Weak, useless and nothing but a burden to the people around you. Forget about me and your mama struggling to raise you as a little girl. Not even the best of men in the world will even look in your direction now that you've grown up..."

"SHUT UP! You shut the hell up, you bastard!" She yelled into the phone, her voice growing in strength. "You are not my father because a real father would never do to his child what you've done to me! You chose alcohol over taking care of me and you will never have the privilege of experiencing what fathers share with their daughters! If I fall in love with someone, you'll never be the person he asks permission for to marry me! You will never walk me down the aisle to him on my wedding day and you will never meet any children we might have!"

"You entitled brat! Just wait until I get my hands on you! I'll find you eventually, Emmanuelle Julia Hunterson!" He threatened her, acidic rage soaking each syllable of her full legal name...

"You're a drinker and a coward! There's nothing you can do to me anymore. I know I'm not perfect and Mom isn't perfect either. But I'm not that scared little girl anymore, and that means you're gonna listen to me or else I'll make you regret your finding how to contact me. It is my right as an adult to keep toxic people at a distance for my own personal health." Her voice lowered into a calmer pitch as her own anger ebbed.

The silence on the other end was communicating to her that she'd finally overwhelmed him with her words. And she continued to talk again...

"You will never contact me again in any form. By phone, letter, email, it doesn't matter. I never want to hear from you again. You will stay out of my life and this phone call will be the last time we ever speak to each other. If you ever contact me again after today, I'll go to the police and ensure that you're behind bars for a long time with this phone call as recorded evidence of you threatening me. Do you understand, Robert Barnes?"

She called him by his name, a name she was no longer tied to herself regardless of biological paternity...

A full ten seconds of static passed on the other end before he responded.

"And will you give me if I leave you alone?" He asked, in a somewhat quieter tone.

Emmy gulped before mustering up more words to say.

"You get a chance to start anew with your life and my reluctant forgiveness. If you possess any hint of human decency, you will never try to enter my life again." She finished her bargain with him, gulping down the dryness in her throat. "Do you accept my terms?"