Chapter 39 - Madison

Start from the beginning

I take it in. It fits perfectly. "It looks great on you, sweetheart."

I grin up at him. "I keep wondering what I did in life to get someone like you." I rest a hand on his cheek and he places his hand over mine, keeping it there.

"You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm the luckiest man on earth to even have you by my side. And one day, I can't wait to call you my wife."

Blood rushes to my face. His wife.

He kisses my knuckles. "Happy birthday, mi amor. Te amo."

"I love you, too."

And he proceeds to show me just how much.

                                                                                                  * * *

The minute we arrive at my house, my family bombards me with a chorus of 'Happy Birthdays'.

I thank every single one of them and when they catch sight of the bracelet they all gasp, wanting to take a closer look.

Especially Vanessa.

"Mad, this is so beautiful." She looks over at Adam who was also invited. "Someone should think about getting me one too."

All he does is smile at her, continuing his talk with Maxon and Luke who flew out to celebrate with us too. Isaiah wasn't able to join us and neither was Maxon's other friend, Lincoln.

But that's alright. As long as I'm surrounded by those I love, that's all that matters.

"When did he give you this?" Leah asks, inspecting the piece of jewelry on my wrist.

"This morning."

"Aww," Vanessa's eyes glimmer with emotion. "I always knew Maxon was a big softie."

"What did you say?" I feel Maxon's presence behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and resting his chin on my shoulder. "Did you just call me a big softie?"

Luke comes to stand beside his sister and Adam on her other side. He says, "I doubt Maxon is anything but soft now."

I tense and my siblings groan.

"Luke," Maxon warns and Luke's cheeks actually flush at insinuating something inappropriate in front of my siblings who have anything but an innocent mind.

"Oh, uh, sorry guys."

But as I shift slightly I see Luke is right. Maxon is anything but soft. I peer up at him and he only smirks.

"The food's ready!" Trinity calls out, gesturing for all of us to go outside where I see they've decorated. There's a long table beautifully adorned with flowers placed in the middle and balloons everywhere. I even see the big 23. I smile, feeling special for the first time in years. I haven't allowed my family to celebrate my birthday in so long but now I see, they went all out to make up for it.

"Trinity, this is beautiful," I tell her as she walks beside me.

She grins. "Thanks. We all contributed. Even Liam."

He nods. "That I did."

We all settle down to eat the delicious birria my mom made us.

As she settles a bowl in front of each man, they thank her, and my mom blushes. It's cute to see her get flustered by all the strong men here. I can see it's a bit intimidating. They take over most of the table.

We all continue to talk and catch up, Luke offering up the entertainment for the evening. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard.

My heart feels lighter than it's ever been.

When it's finally time to cut the cake, I find myself looking forward to making a wish.

My mom sets the huge cake which is decorated with red roses, in front of me. Everyone pulls out their phones as they start singing happy birthday and I would usually feel more embarrassed by all the attention but I'm learning to embrace every moment in life no matter what.

When they finish, Vanessa yells out "Make a wish, Mad!"

I close my eyes. Thanking God for all the blessings thus far and for bringing amazing new people into my life. I then proceed to tell Him my wish.

Once I've made it, I blow out the candles and cheers erupt around me.

"Damn, Madison even looks sexy blowing—"

I glance up at Maxon and find him glaring at Luke. I know he wouldn't dare confront him in front of my mom but thankfully Vanessa slaps some sense into her brother before he digs himself a deeper grave.

Once I cut the cake and hand it to everyone I settle back with Maxon.

"You happy?" He grins over at me and I nod.

"For the first time, I feel like everything's falling into place," I say, the words ringing true in my heart.

He picks up my hand and drops a kiss on it, leaving behind a trace of frosting. He licks it and my heart speeds up at the sight. I glance around, thankfully no one's paying attention to us because I'm starting to feel my nerve endings come alive.

"It's been a tough journey that required a lot of patience but it was worth it. Every minute of it." I continue a bit out of breath.

Maxon leans in, hugging and molding me to his side.

"Good," He drops a kiss on the side of my head. "because this is only the beginning, sweetheart."