1

Dess yawned as she walked through her small apartment, trying to find her phone after an eventful night. Covering her mouth as she let another yawn out, she jumped in her spot seeing a figure sitting on her couch. The person turned around and she let out a breath seeing that it was just her mom.

"What you doin here?" Dess asked her. She looked at the tv seeing she was watching something on the news.

"Come sit." Denise pat the empty spot beside her. Dess slowly walked over to her mom and eyed her weirdly. "Here."

Dess took the phone from her mothers hands, seeing many missed called and texts from her mom, sister, and friends. Squinting her eyes, her head snapped up at the tv after hearing a familiar name.

Markeyvius Cathey, age twenty-one, was freed from prison this morning. In 2016, sixteen year old Cathey was convicted of first-degree murder of Tyrone Brown, thirty-one, who was gunned down just outside of South Memphis, in 2016. But even after being sentenced to life, lawyers say Cathey always claimed his innocence and never changed his story.

Investigators spent years examining Cathey's case, finding three new witnesses who said Cathey was not the gunman. After reviewing the new evidence, prosecutors with Conviction Integrity Unit realized their mistake.
Cathey participated in the hearing this morning and was all smiles. The judge ordered him to be released immediately and that all convictions against Cathey to be thrown out.

Dess was too shocked to move or say anything. Her eyes widened after his infamous smiling mug shot showed up on the screen. She seen this exact mugshot plenty of times, and like always, it stirred up many different emotions. Dess knew he killed that man and so did Markeyvius. So how he managed to plead innocent after some years was a shock to her.

Little did Dess know, Markeyvius was coming for her next...

♥︎♥︎♥︎

Markeyvius walked out of the courthouse with his Lawyer and mother right beside him. He fixed the button to his suit and took in his surroundings. After five years he was now a free man. He ducked his head from the cameras and reporters trying to get stories out of him before jumping in the back seat of the black Escalade that was waiting for him.

He removed the check from his pocket and eyed it closely. $500,000 signed for Markeyvius Cathey. It wasn't much but it was something to him. He knew he committed that murder but he had people on the inside who switched the story up. Now he was a paid, set free, murderer. They done let the beast out and didn't even know it.

He had one thing on his list right now, pay Destiny a visit. He did her dirty; both of them knew that. But she did him dirty just as much as he did. Everyone questioned Why the innocent plead guilty and the guilty are free to go. Everyone and their mom thought Markeyvius was innocent, but he wasn't. Only him and Dess knew that.

Markeyvius hopped out the car and was in a rush to get out of his suit. Ignoring everyone that was trying to get to him, he went into his mamas house and grabbed the clothes Tameika had waiting on him. It wasn't nothing special; gray NIKE sweatpants, a plain white t-shirt, white NIKE socks and NIKE slides. He made a note to hit the mall up for some outfits.

His old bedroom door flew open and he felt someone throw their selves at him before he could see who it was. "I missed you so much!" His ex girlfriend, Amya, squealed in his ear. Key just stood there, waiting for her to get off of him.