Nervously, I watched as her large brown eyes widened at the sight of me, some stray brown hairs flailing around her face as she rushed to open the screen door. "Josie! It's so good to see you!"

As if I was the last person on Earth, she hurried out the door and wrapped me in a strong embrace. She smelled like sweat and dirty diapers, but I was excited to hug her back. Her affectionate hug felt so familiar and comforting to me, I immediately felt myself relaxing in her presence.

"It's good to see you too, El," I responded calmly.

"Well, come on in," she ushered me inside. "You want anything to drink?"

"No, I'm good for now. Thanks," I responded. We walked through a laminate foyer into the homey living room of the house where the cartoons were captivating Eleanor's daughter, Auden, who must have been two at the time. I stopped coming around at about the same time that they were signing the adoption papers. She didn't even acknowledge us walking into the room at all, the only thing she cared about was her Paw Patrol.

"This is such a nice surprise," Eleanor continued smiling her white grin, dimples poking into the smooth surface of her cheeks. "How have you been doing?"

"Um, I'm doing pretty well. Still working at the Kripke Journal and everything. I got a cat," I stated. I kind of wanted to just jump into the reason why I came over, but I also thought it might be easier if we have some small talk first to reacquaint ourselves with each other before moving forward.

"I saw that on your Instagram, she's adorable," she said. "I've been trying to convince Micah for so long that we should get a pet, but I haven't gotten through to him yet. We have this big back yard, it would be perfect for a puppy. Oh, he's going to be so bummed out that he's not here to see you, but he had to work today."

"On a Saturday?" I asked in surprise, although it was quite hypocritical of me because I worked on weekends all the time. I thought it was different for me though, since I didn't have a wife and kid waiting for me at home. Only a cat, who really didn't care if I lived or died.

"Yeah, he's working on this big case at work and it's been really demanding," she responded. "He thinks they'll win and soon, the last hearing will be over so we'll have him back home again. Auden, can you say hi Josie?"

The toddler ignored her mother completely, as if she didn't say anything at all.

I noticed a large princess castle in the corner of the room by the TV with an assortment of dolls and accessories sprinkling the floor around it and inside the many floors. Eleanor's house looked mostly clean, except for some toy tornadoes splayed about in some areas. I could only imagine how difficult it was to keep up with a two year old.

"This TV is melting her brain, I swear," Eleanor said with a shake of her head. "But an hour a day probably won't do too much damage. If Paw Patrol wasn't on, she'd be really happy to see you too."

I knew that probably wasn't true. Auden didn't know who I was, which was a really sad thought because a lifetime ago, I was so close to Eleanor that she felt like an older sister to me and now, I hadn't even met the daughter she'd had for an entire year. "She's adorable."

"Oh, she's really leaning into those terrible twos. Learned how to say no and it's killing me," she admitted with a tired laugh. "Anyway, what brings you over for a visit? I mean, I'm totally happy if you're just popping your head in to say hi, but I assume there's a reason."

"Yeah. Um, there is something I need to talk to you about. I wish I was coming over under better circumstances, but I have some news for you."

"Oh," her face fell a little bit as she leaned against the back of the couch. "Is something wrong?"