iii. promise the moon

Magsimula sa umpisa

Mizu wore a hoodie before walking out. This is ridiculous, she thought. There was very little chance that Maris would be there, but there she was anyway, making her way to the lighthouse.

Habang papunta roon, pinagmasdan niya ang nadaraanan. May mga bandiritas na blue nang nakasabit saka nagbo-boom ang shop ng mga alimango. Sa ref nga nila Mizuki, may apat nang crab cake na bawal pang kainin, tapos rinig pa niyang mag-uuwi na naman ang papa niya ng isa pa mamayang gabi. 'Yung nag-iisang crystal shop naman, dinudumog na rin para sa moonstones. Madalas na nandoon ay mga matatandang babae na naniniwala sa powers ng crystals. Dinudumog na rin pati ang mga pagawaan ng kandila.

Their town was always so noisy and alive on the first days of July. It's like their town's second version of Christmas.

Pagdating sa beach, nanlamig siya mula paa paitaas. Kaunti lang ang tao rito, may iilang mga bata lang saka dalawang lalaki na nakaupo sa moonlit bench kung tinawag.

That moonlit bench is filled with lovers' names followed by the phrase, watched by the moon. It's a promise for these lovers that even if they won't last together, the moon would watch over the both of them until the end of time.

Nagpatuloy lang si Mizu sa paglalakad. Her heart was racing as she ran up the stairs, holding her breath, not knowing what to expect once she got up there. It was wishful thinking to hope that Maris would be there, but she hoped for it anyway.

Pagbukas niya ng pinto, wala roon si Maris.

Of course she wouldn't be. Naisip na tuloy ni Mizu na baka hindi na siya siputin ni Maris sa gabi ng festival. Why would she? She was just a stranger. Hindi niya nga ito pinansin man lang sa hallway!

"God, I'm unforgivable," sabi niya sa sarili.

Sinandal niya ang ulo sa bakal na railing saka huminga nang malalim. The air tasted like the sea salt and metal.

Binangon niya ang ulo niya . . . at saka niya nakita na sa may bandang dalampasigan, may babaeng naka-school uniform, nakapaa, habang nakaupo malapit sa tubig.

"Maris," she said under her breath.

Mizu's feet moved faster than her head, and the next thing she knew, she was already running down the stairs, then through the sand, until she was already panting in front of Maris. Her sweat was cold and the sand annoyingly rubbed against her feet. The sea was waving silently, slowly creeping towards their feet each wave.

"What are you doing?" was the first thing she said.

"Mizu!" Maris exclaimed, looking up at her. Her hair was a mess because of the strong wind, but it looked adorable. "Nandito ka!"

Mizuki blushed. "Pumunta kasi ako ng lighthouse tapos nakita kita."

"I was just waiting for my friends. Sabi nila may bibilhin lang sila, e," sabi niya. "Pero mukhang hindi na yata sila babalik."

Lumakad pa siya kay Maris, hanggang sa maabot na ng tubig ang mga paa niya. It was cold. She looked at Maris, and though she was smiling, her eyes weren't as happy as her lips. Mukhang naghintay siya nang matagal-tagal sa mga kaibigan niyang wala namang balak bumalik. She felt bad. A bit of anger, too, for her friends who treated her like that.

"L-Let me sit here with you then," sabi niya.

Back there in the hallway, she was the one who saw Maris first. She considered greeting her, or just giving her a little smile, anything that could acknowledge a new friend, but she looked busy with her thoughts, and when she walked past her, she realized, of course Maris wouldn't recognize her — she was a girl she'd only talked to for like fifteen minutes.