Chapter 36 - Madison

Start from the beginning

"You don't know Maxon, Jake."

"I don't need to know that asshole." He grinds out.

"Why do you hate him so much? He's done nothing to you."

"Besides beat the shit out of me? Did you know I was in the hospital for the past week? They wouldn't let me leave until they knew I was okay to go."

My cheeks drain of all blood. "You're—I'm so sorry for that Jake but this was on you. You couldn't take no as an answer. And you know what? I quit."

He gets up. "You—what?"

"I quit." I stand up as well, voice coming out stronger this time. "I don't want to work here. For a place where the owner only hired me because of my looks."

"Wha—I never said that."

I scoff. That's the most childish excuse if I've ever heard one. "You did. Right when you were confessing that you 'loved' me. You don't love me, Jake. I don't even think you know what that is."

I take his silence as cue for me to leave. "I'll turn in my notice today."

"You're not leaving, Madison." He says tightly.

My heart speeds up at the dangerous note in his voice. "I am." I quickly exit the room and run to my locker to grab my things.

I text Maxon who thankfully says he's already on his way. Warning bells are going off in my head and I rush over to the main dining area in a daze.

Mara walks over to me, brows pulled together. "Hey, everything all right?" She asks, "How'd the talk with Jake go?"

"Madison!" Comes the boom of his voice and Mara and I turn to face him. He looks like a bull getting ready to attack. "We need to talk!"

Mara looks at me and I meet her gaze, fear in both of our eyes. "We have nothing to talk about, Jake." I try to keep my voice sounding normal as I stare with wide eyes at Mara. "I already told you that I quit."

"What? Madison." Mara grabs onto my arm and I give her a light squeeze. "You can't keep me somewhere I simply don't want to be." I go on.

"This is all because of him, right? Maxon Blake poisoned your mind against me didn't he." He snarls and I take a step back. Mara follows suit.

"He didn't, Jake. You did that yourself. No one else."

"Oh, I see. So if I were a famous, more attractive athlete, you would've given me a chance."

I shake my head. There is no reasoning with him. None. "Something's wrong with you, Jake."

"Are you saying I'm fucked in the head!" Mara and I stand rooted in shock as his veins start bulging in his neck and forehead. "It's all because of that football injury! If those idiots had been looking out for me I would've never gotten that concussion! Is that what you want to hear, Madison? Your little football player boyfriend will get fucked in the head too!" He lets out a horrendous laugh and God, I can't believe none of us had noticed this before.

"What's going on?" Daniel comes from somewhere in the vicinity and when he catches sight of Jake he holds him back. "Jake, calm down man!"

Mara hugs me at that moment and I try to calm her fear down. "Madison."

Headlights appear just as Jake cackles. "And that's if he doesn't die first!"

I completely freeze up and Mara glances up at me. "Madison?"

The double doors burst open and I hear men's footsteps.
"What the hell? Baby," I feel Maxon grip me and hold me in his arms but I'm so startled I can't move. "Madison." He touches my cheek lightly and I see him, almost as if in a daze, glance around. "You." I hear yelling and a girl speaking. I'm not sure what happens but I feel myself being carried to his SUV. I hear another voice speaking that sounds a lot like Maxon's friend but I'm frozen in fear.

"Madison. Mi amor."

A car door closes then the other voice says. "I'll drive."

I sense Maxon next to me, his masculine scent sneaking past my fear.

"Madison" He runs a hand down my hair and brings my forehead to his lips where he drops a tender kiss. "Hey, it's okay. You're okay."

"Maxon. What about Mara?" My voice comes out a whisper as I frantically look around, worried she stayed behind with unpredictable Jake.

"I'm here." I see her peek at me from the passenger's side. I settle back as I see she's okay. "Maxon," my body trembles at the memory. "Jake is not okay. He—"

"Shhh, let's get you both home first."

I nod. Seeking Maxon's safety and comfort as I try to forget something that will surely leave its mark forever.