Chapter 25: Hospital

Start from the beginning

"G, you didn't have to stay," I said, turning my head to the wall. "You could've gone home. There are other things more important besides me, like Papyrus. Doesn't he need you at home right now or something?" Well, that didn't come out right.

"Yeah, maybe so, but I wanted to be here for you when you woke up so you wouldn't be alone. Plus, Paps doesn't mind if I stay for a friend," G replies coolly. Right. Friends. 

"I guess you're right but... Aren't you cold? Hospitals aren't the best environment for humans and definitely not for monsters either. I bet it was uncomfortable for you to sleep in that chair, especially due to your height." 

G chuckles. "You're not wrong, but I can manage sleeping in a uncomfortable chair. And, I personally think it's worth freezing my ass off in a hospital if it means seeing if your okay," he remarked, sincerely. I sigh and lean my figure against G's arm. 

"Then I'll have to keep you warm right? Afterall, you said the cold goes right through you," I emphasize with air quotes. It went silent. I realize what I had just said, lightly face palming myself. I sense G's smirk. "Geez, you really have rubbed off on me that much. I know your smirking, so go ahead and laugh at your own bad pun." Instead, I feel G play with a strand of my hair. I look up at him. 

"Nah, I won't laugh. Although it was a good pun, you still have a headache don't you? Can't be too loud," he smiles lazily. I smile faintly in return. *Knock knock* We both turned towards the noise at the entrance of the door. It was a doctor, most likely assigned to me, I'm guessing. 

"Good evening, Ms. L/N. I'm Mrs. Lennin. How are you?" The female nurse asks sweetly. She was a middle-aged woman with circular glasses, green eyes, curly dark brown hair, wearing a long dull blue nurse uniform.

"Good," I reply. She looks at the file on her clipboard flapping up one of the sheets. 

"I see in your records, you're a very healthy patient. You've never had any broken bones or severe injuries, this is a first," she explains, reverting her eyes back to me. I nod. 

"Yes, it is." I silently gulp.

"You suffered an almost severe case of internal bleeding and bruising along the medial core and chest. May I ask, how this happened?" She raises a conspicuous brow at both I and G, her voice now professional and firm. 

"Well you see, I..." I pause, scratching the side of my face nervously. Got to think of an excuse. "You see, I'm rather clumsy, so I ended up tripping over my own feet down a flight of stairs, falling." I kept a cool face, chuckling lightly. Mrs. Lennin stood still, then wrote down whatever she was writing into my file papers. 

"Well then, your very lucky you didn't break your neck. And that you didn't shatter or break your legs on the way down. I suggest you ought to be more careful Ms. L/N, you'll be dismissed for your leave tomorrow morning." I took out a small sigh of relief. "However, I suggest after you leave, you have a family member or friend take care of you, to at least visit to check up on you when you go back home. Your injuries are very severe, especially since there internal, so you would need to be helped. Perhaps, your boyfriend will help you, yes?" 

"M-my b-boyfriend?" I feel my face heat up. I look at G then at the nurse. I shook my head frantically, completely forgetting my headache. "O-oh no no no no no. He's just a friend! He's not my boyfriend!" 

"Yeah, we're just friends," G blushed a faint yellow, clearing his 'throat'.

"My apologies," she atones. "I just thought because you two seem very close, I thought you were together. Although in my opinion, you would make a very cute couple, even if majority of humans don't support it." 

"I-um, thank you." 

"Your welcome. And--- Mr. Gaster, you have 20 minutes till the patient visiting hours are up, just to inform you."

"Thanks." The nurse happily nods and heads out the entrance. My attention turns back to G. 

"I don't wanna stay the night, I hate hospitals," I grumble softly. "It's cold and there's always a weird wind." He chuckles.

"Don't worry, I'll be back to pick you up tomorrow for your leave," G reassures with a smile, ruffling my hair. I grab his hand off my head out of slight frustration and set it down on my lap, studying it. What? I was bored. Plus, I always wondered about the hole in his hand anyways. It was where the palm was missing. I feel the inside of the circular edges. It was so smooth, not rigid at all. I found it strange, yet fascinating. Without thinking twice about it, I ask a random question out of the blue. 

"G, why does your hand have a hole in it?" I looked from his hand to him. "Were your hands always like this?" G seemed taken back by the question. Perhaps, that came out wrong? Or too personal? "Sorry, I was just curious..." I trail off.

"It's-- it's fine. It's just that your very straight forward with questions, that's all," he lightly chuckles.

"Then please tell me," I plead softly. I gently graze my thumb across his knuckles. "Did it hurt?" 

"Not exactly," G treads. "I guess you could say it was the cause." 

"What do you mean it?" I tilt my head slightly to the side, not understanding. G sighs.

"I was fused with another monster a long, long time ago. It's complicated to explain---"

*Visiting hours for all patients will be closed in five minutes. Warning, five minutes.*

"Well try to explain the best way you can, I might be able to understand."

G shook his head. "No, even if I did, you still wouldn't understand."

"I can try. You can---" 

*Patrons, all patient visiting hours are now up. You are allowed to visit patients again between hours 8:30 a.m. through 9:20 p.m. For now, you must proceed leaving and let them rest. Thank you.* 

G sighs and smiles lazily at me, although he is expression shadowed sadness behind it. I could see it, choosing not to address it. "Seems like I gotta go doll." He got up from the side of my hospital bed, disconnecting his touch from mine. 

"Wait--" I took ahold of his rolled up sweater sleeve, quick with my action. I looked at him with deliberate eyes. "--- Promise me we'll have this conversation tomorrow."  G looked at me for a brief second or two before responding.

"Maybe--- maybe when your better," he drawled, rubbing the back of his neck. I raised a brow. 

"That wasn't a promise G, but, I'll take it. I won't force you, but I won't forget about it either. I have a good memory, just remember that," I articulate, letting go of his sleeve. 

"Fair enough," he sighs. G grabs his leather jacket off the back of the chair and tosses it over his shoulder. He looms over my bed and bends down, kissing my cheek. I blush a dark pink, not able to say anything. He returns to his regular posture and begins to walk out, stopping at the entrance. "Goodnight, doll." He disappears in a flash of yellow warp light.