Be yourself

After 100 days of continuous assassination attempts, Portgas D. Ace finally caved and joined the Whitebeard Pirates. And while he never imagined he would be able to call the Moby his home, especially not after trying to kill the captain of said ship, he was welcomed with open arms and got comfortable fairly quickly.

Right now, Ace is sitting with the commanders and the captain at their special table in the mess hall. While everyone seated around him are his superiors, he doesn't feel the slightest bit left out. On that note, it even seemed like that this may be the most childish table of the whole mess hall... It at least is the only one with a ... Chicken shaped ... Pineapple ... cake? ... Oh well, it is delicious anyway.

While Ace is stuffing his face without shame, the captain started laughing, "Gurarara, Ace, You really fit in well my son!".
At the word 'son', Ace purrs loudly while smiling up at Whiteb-, his Pops.

The table grows quiet and everyone was looking stupefied at Ace.
"Did... did you just purr?!" Thatch all but yells at Ace.

Ace's smile disappears from his face as he shrinks in on himself, trying to hide, "I'm sorry".

"What? No- I didn't m-"
"You stupid Idiot!" Izou hissed while hitting Thatch with his fan.
After having done enough damage to the pompadour, Izou turns to face Ace with a kind look and speaks softly, "Ace dear, it's okay, no need to feel sorry. On the contrary, we are all delighted to hear that you are feeling happy here."
With a darker voice he continued, "This bread-head of an idiot tough, doesn't know how to think before he speaks, now apologize!" Izou says sternly while hitting Thatch ones more.

"A-Ace, I'm sorry! I didn't-, I didn't mean it like that! I just ... I didn't think that you were an Omega! I thought for sure that you were an Alph- aaaaaaah noooooo Ace don't cry, I just didn't recognize your scent! It is okay to be an Omega! I love Omegas you kn- OUCH, Izou why would u hit me!? Huh not the moment? Ace? Wa- AH! Ace! I am so sorry! I meant that it doesn't matter what you are, I was just surprised!" Thatch really look devasted by what he had said before, "Ace, please, how do I make it up to you? I will do whatever it takes! I'll even make you all the desserts you want!".

Said Omega sniffs and wipes at his eyes, teary eyed he looks up at Thatch, "chocolate mousse?" "YES, YES, YES, I will make you the best chocolate mousse ever!".
Ace smiles at the cook's antics of running around and yelling for his chefs to gather ingredients, all because he has to make the 'world's greatest and most delicious chocolate mousse known to men!'.

While this was happening, Ace bows his head down a little and tries to speak up, "I'm sorry, I... I've always purred a lot and I know it can be annoying and I am trying to stop and-".
A big hand on his head stopped his rambling. He knows who it is, but he doesn't dare to look up. "Ace, son, you have no need to apologize for anything, you've done nothing wrong. There's nothing wrong with purring. You are showing us that you are happy, and I am very proud and honoured that you feel happy to be here, being able to hear that you are happy. Do not let others get you down about this, they are the fools. I, for one, love to hear that my kids are happy and enjoying themselves, and I am sure that your brothers and sisters share this sentiment".

Before Ace could even react to his pops, he heard a purring behind him and turned around to face a smiling Marco.
"He's right-yoi. We all want for you to be happy and feel at home here."
The words on its own aren't immediately registering in Ace's brain, no, he is still kind of stumped and trying to wrap his mind around the fact that Marco purred. Marco, an Alpha, purred. Alphas normally don't purr, not a lot, and most of the time it is more of a conscious action than an unconscious reflex like most Omegas have.
-He.... He purred for me? To make sure that I know its okay?- Ace could feel tears gathering in his eyes. Besides the Spades and his brothers, everyone has always laughed at him and bullied him for purring a lot, for purring just because the food was heavenly, for purring when a friend reached his goal, for-... Marco's voice suddenly brought Ace's thought process to a halt, "So, don't hold back Ace" – "be yourself." Marco added while ruffling Ace's hair.

And Ace reacted like the proud Omega that he will try to be – smiling brightly and purring loud enough for the whole mess hall to hear.

Thank you very much for reading my first story! Feedback is always much appreciated, and if you find any mistakes, or if you have any tips, let me know!
I have already written a continuation for this story, but since the theme doesn't stay happy I'm gonna make it a separate story.
If you like happy stuff, you will be able to read the first chapter of the next story too, not the rest of it tough.
The first chapter of the next story will be released next Monday.

Edit: The other (continuation) story has been posted!