Bonus Chapter: Lovely Snake Family Special

Start from the beginning

"You will. It just won't be mine."

"Too bad." Inori laughed again, and Obanai had to run to keep up with her. "I've decided that Iguro-san and Mitsuri-nee will live happily ever after, so you have no choice but to accept your fate."

Obanai sighed, but refused to back down. "What about you? Any happily ever after plans with Tokito?" He smirked behind the bandages as Inori blushed scarlet. The topic of Inori and Muichiro's recent development in their relationship was quite the hot topic amongst the pillars, especially because everyone could see just how much they loved each other. Well, everyone but the two involved themselves.

"Well, it will be nice to finally go home." Inori slowed down, falling into step beside him. "I don't plan on staying in one place just yet, but Muichiro said he'll travel the world with me. I'm looking forward to that."

"I see." It was so like her to want to travel around the world. He preferred settling down, but he knew Inori had always wanted to see the beauty this world provided. It might be hard, but he hoped that dream of hers could come true. Because she and Muichiro deserved all the happiness they could get.

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚☆.。.☆.。.:*☆ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

Obanai remembered remaining silent even as Inori continued to talk about her plans if she survived the battle. Back then, he couldn't help but smile when she laughed and teased him. He would've smiled wider had he known it would be the last time he ever heard her laugh again.

"Iguro-san!"

Mitsuri's voice brought Obanai out of his flashback. In his panic, he ended up dropping the glass of medicine he was holding, spilling the hot liquid all over the sheets. He didn't even register the pain, but Mitsuri was quick to pull the blankets off him, calling for one of the girls to help her clean it up. He didn't even remember being forcefully changed into a clean set of recovery uniform until another cup of bubbling medicine was shoved into his hands. Even so, he didn't try to drink it.

It was only when he was alone in the room with Mitsuri, tense silence hanging in the air, did he finally let the dam break.

"Six days before the battle, Hoshizora and I were partnered up for our nightly patrol." He gripped the cup a bit tighter, slightly rattling it with the strength of his grip. "She wouldn't stop talking about how she'll make sure I survive, and her plans if she survived too."

Obanai took a deep breath, placing the cup on the bedside table. "I told her I don't plan on surviving. Hoshizora knows a lot more than we all think she does. I have no doubt she knows about my past, she basically admitted she knew. She never pried or anything, but I know she knew why I don't plan on surviving." But despite knowing why, she still smiled and refused to back down. "She kept on insisting that she'll make sure I survive. I thought it was impossible but, in the end, she did make sure I survive."

Obanai turned his head to face Mitsuri, tears streaming down his eyes. He didn't even register the small squeak she let out, too busy fisting the fabric around his chest. "Kanroji, tell me," he demanded, choking on his own tears, "Why is it that I, the one who planned to die, survived? While she, the one who wanted to survive, died?"

It was unfair.

"I heard it all when the girls thought I was sleeping. Rengoku, Tomioka, Shinazugawa, you, and me. We all survived because of whatever medicine she created. I don't know a thing about medicine, but you don't just create that kind of miracle in a few months." Obanai took another deep breath, this time a bit less choked. "How many years did she spend to make that medicine? How many times did she sacrifice her own health to kill demons and do her research? How many lives did she save at the cost of her own? It's so unfair."